Director, Investor Relations
Manager: Vice President, Global Communications & Investor Relations
Department: Communications & Investor Relations
Location: Brisbane, CA
Sangamo Therapeutics is a genomic medicine company building value with cutting-edge work across four distinct but complementary technology platforms – gene therapy, cell therapy, in vivo genome editing, and in vivo genome regulation. Using its deep scientific expertise and proprietary zinc finger genome engineering technology, Sangamo is working to create genomic cures for patients suffering from severe genetic diseases for which today’s medicines can only treat symptoms. At Sangamo, we are passionate about transforming lives by building a robust, sustainable, differentiated, innovative, and high value genomic medicine pipeline that addresses patients with life-limiting conditions. Sangamo takes pride in being the first to edit endogenous human genes, first to treat patients with gene edited T cells, and first to treat patients with in vivo genome editing. Our top priority is to meet the needs of patients with commitment and compassion. Along with our commitment to science and to our patients, we also endeavor to create an inclusive environment that promotes and values diversity. Sangamo is a company where individuals can flourish, grow and develop their expertise.
Sangamo is committed to the well-being of all employees. We have implemented COVID vaccine requirements, provide onsite testing if applicable, and are encouraging hybrid-work arrangements once we all can safely return to the office. Until we feel it is safe for non-essential workers to return to the office, this position will be remote based.
We are seeking top talent to join our mission. Let’s build a better future together.
Reporting to Sangamo’s Vice President of Global Communications & Investor Relations, the Director / Senior Director of Investor Relations will develop and execute an IR strategy that will promote the business objectives of Sangamo Therapeutics as the leader in the field of genomic medicine.
Given the breadth and complexity of Sangamo’s drug and R&D portfolio, the Director of Investor Relations must partner with communications, clinical development, R&D and business development as well as finance, to articulate a compelling and digestible message to the market in an effort to drive value creation. Sangamo’s story is highly technical and the company operates in an extremely competitive space. It is essential that the Director / Senior Director of Investor Relations be able to understand and explain the company’s key scientific and technical differentiators and goals in order to most effectively message the Sangamo story to financial community stakeholders. They will be responsible for facilitating and fostering relationships with sell side analysts and key investors, monitoring and evaluating investors in our space and planning shareholder outreach.
This leader will be expected to take a proactive stance toward the execution of the IR function. They will need to be investor and market savvy, and in a highly visible role will work closely with members of senior management to keep the message on point regarding where the company is now and where it is going. They will need to possess a strategic mindset and the ability to craft the Company’s message in the light of fierce competition in order to differentiate the Company’s programs from its peers. They will work to maintain existing shareholders and analysts, attract new shareholders from desired investor pools, and build analyst coverage.
The Director / Senior Director of Investor Relations will serve as a strategic advisor to senior executives in preparing for earnings calls, investor meetings and industry conferences as well as media interviews, in partnership with communications team members. Working closely with other members of the communications team, they will prepare senior executives for their interaction with the investment community and other external audiences, and act as a conduit for information from the investment community to internal constituents across the company. It is critical that this individual develop an in-depth, comprehensive understanding of the company’s technology, programs, operations, clinical trial process, financial performance and strategies through regular interaction with company executives and business leaders.
- Partner with key members of the senior management team to lead and manage the company’s participation on quarterly earnings calls, investment conference calls and in-house meetings, road shows, analyst days, one-on-one meetings and media interviews
- Direct interaction and communication with all existing and potential shareholders; maintain and cultivate sell-side investment analyst coverage and interest from the buy side institutional investment community. Monitor and evaluate investor landscape in the genomic medicine space and proactively plan outreach.
- Analyze current stockholder base and investing trends of institutional investors and conduct investor targeting; monitor top shareholder composition trends over time
- Partner with senior management and investment bankers to develop ESG platform and messaging and execute shareholder targeting exercises
- Collaborate with colleagues throughout the company in establishing the development, and the detailed execution of the IR operating plan
- Collaborate with communications and senior leadership in the creation of the company’s external and internal messaging and ensure all investor communications are integrated and consistent
- Lead investor communications development, including preparing presentation decks, developing earnings releases, creating management Q&As, conference call scripts, and the business section of the Form 10K. Contributing to the drafting of other SEC documents as required e.g. Sangamo’s Proxy statement, Form 8Ks
- Conduct analysis and research in support of the earnings call process, including the analysis of competitor operating results and industry trends. Specifically, they will leverage competitive intelligence to craft a concise and differentiating message that sets Sangamo apart from its peer group
- Track the models utilized by analysts to value/evaluate the company's performance (i.e., trends, earnings per share, return on equity, etc.) and communicate this information to Senior Management and other key internal constituents
- Present and articulate the investor point of view to the executive team, and make recommendations as necessary and appropriate
- Present and articulate the investor point of view to the broader company through all staff emails and town hall presentations
- Collaborate with communications to manage content and structure of the company website
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
The ideal candidate will be an energetic, roll-up-the-sleeves investor relations leader or an established buy-side or sell-side equity analyst covering the biotechnology industry. They must have a strong scientific background, financial acumen, existing relationships within the investment community, the ability to steer business performance and make important decisions.
Exposure to highly complex scientific industries (pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, medical devices) through previous roles or academic pursuits is preferred. This individual must have the ability to create and implement a pro-active investor relations for a very technical story.
The successful candidate will have outstanding communication and interpersonal skills; and the presence and leadership ability to maintain a high level of trust, credibility and confidence with Sangamo’s leadership team and the investment community. It is critical that the successful candidate is seen as a credible individual who knows how to partner with senior executives. Experience in a high-visibility external role where judgment, tact, flexibility and resourcefulness are required. This individual has made public presentations to large audiences, and been entrusted as a spokesperson for his/her company. Beyond functional skills and experiences, this individual must have a keen intellect and unquestioned ethics.
- Investor relations, corporate communications or equity research (buy-side or sell-side) experience within or covering biotechnology or pharmaceutical companies. Experience at a reputable, well-regarded organization is essential
- Strong financial acumen; facile with all of the company’s key financial statements. S/he must have an understanding of financial modeling used by investment professionals to value the organization’s performance
- Strong understanding of the capital markets
- Strong reputation with Wall Street analysts and institutional investors
- Track record of successfully building a corporate profile
- A smart, seasoned, and business-savvy investor relations leader who is comfortable and confident functioning as a trusted advisor at the most senior levels of a public company
- An individual with strong emotional intelligence and tenacity for driving change
- Ability to execute in ambiguous situations and take the lead without explicit instructions
- Ability to develop, synthesize and present perspectives on key strategic issues
- Excellent PC skills including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Bachelor's degree required; Ph.D. or other advanced degree in the sciences is preferred
- Resilience and a sense of humor – this is biotech after all
Sangamo is an equal opportunity employer
Sangamo is committed to fostering belonging for all employees and embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion in recruiting and hiring. All qualified applicants for employment are encouraged to apply and will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws
Commitment to Safety
Sangamo requires all U.S. workers to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of their start date. This requirement is a condition of employment at Sangamo, and it applies regardless of location or classification of role. If you are unable to receive the vaccine & booster, you will have an opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable laws.
Note to External Recruiters: We do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than from the candidates themselves.