Senior Advocacy & Stakeholder Engagement Manager
Summary of the Position
Senior Manager, Advocacy & Stakeholder Engagement is a strategic and implementing position within the USP Convention and Stakeholder Engagement department of Global External Affairs. S/he will lead key Convention Sectors, interface with senior level stakeholders, collaborate with colleagues across USP to address priority issues through strategic stakeholder engagement, and help build a connected Convention Membership community through strategic approaches, meaningful content, and well-executed tactics that grow engagement and provide value to Members and to USP’s public health mission.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Serve as a Convention Sector staff lead, building an engaged and connected community of stakeholders.
- Develop a strategic plan that will build and sustain engagement with Convention Members, that balances priorities, flexes to account for different objectives and engagement levels, and can evolve to meet shifts in the Sector. Measure success of Convention Member engagement by setting objectives, identifying KPIs, tracking progress and adjusting appropriately.
- Engage with stakeholders on priority advocacy issues, ensuring collaboration and alignment with colleagues across functions such as U.S. government and regulatory affairs, communications, and program leads.
- Support the development of a rigorous issue management approach that can flex across issues, objectives, and internal/external stakeholders, and seeks to forecast organizational risks.
- Positions USP as a thought leader within the advocacy community (to include consumer, patient, practitioner, and trade-manufacturers) through active engagement and collaboration that leads to substantive partnerships.
- Collaborate with colleagues and stakeholders to incorporate the right perspectives, knowledge and expertise into planning and implementation of engagement activities.
- Conceptualize and implement engagement activities that include but are not limited to curating content, identifying internal/external expert speakers, facilitating multi-stakeholder dialog, leading the development of co-created content, and planning virtual (and in-person) events.
- Capture insights on stakeholders in the advocacy community and apply learnings to engagement approach and tactics.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field.
- Minimum of eight (8) years of experience in a health-related trade association or in public policy, advocacy, or public affairs role in industry or consulting.
- Minimum of four (4) years of experience in strategic external relationship management.
- Demonstrated application of engagement best practices in the health and science space
- Deep understanding of the priorities of the public health advocacy community, as well as the importance and value of working with stakeholders in this community.
- Able to successfully manage multiple projects at once, effectively prioritizing and maintaining focus on outcomes.
- Agility – comfortable with change, adapting to new processes, objectives or tactics.
- Curiosity – desire to grow understanding of issues, or Convention Membership.
- Well-honed organizational, interpersonal, communication, negotiation, and listening skills.
- Strength in collaboration and ability to influence and inspire in a matrixed organization.
- Strong writing skills for a variety of audiences, platforms, and objectives.
As a condition of employment with United States Pharmacopeial Convention’s (USP) duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, all employees and contingent staff hired after July 1st, 2021 are required to be fully vaccinated unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
USP provides you with the benefits you need to protect yourself and your family today and tomorrow. From company-paid time off, comprehensive healthcare options to retirement savings, you can have peace of mind that your personal and financial wellbeing are protected.
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) USP is an independent scientific organization that collaborates with the world's top experts in health and science to develop quality standards for medicines, dietary supplements, and food ingredients. USP brings together more than 1,100 talented professionals across five global locations to deliver its mission to strengthen the supply of safe quality medicines and supplements worldwide. USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.