Manager, SEC Reporting & Technical Accounting
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
BioMarin Finance is growing rapidly with the overall Company and is developing into a cutting-edge global finance organization. It has operations in over 40 countries that drive significant global accounting and finance complexity. The Company has ambitious growth plans and has an enthusiastic global finance team that is eager to deliver a world-class accounting and finance function to BioMarin and its stakeholders. BioMarin trades on the Nasdaq under ticker BMRN and is headquartered in San Rafael, California. In 2021, BioMarin’s commercialized products delivered total revenue of $1.8 billion.
JOB TITLE: Manager, SEC Reporting & Technical Accounting
The Manager will primarily be responsible for partnering with the Sr. Manager, SEC Reporting in the preparation and review of external financial statements & information as well as assessing disclosure impacts of new US GAAP pronouncements and SEC regulations to the Company. The Manager will also be responsible for ensuring compliance with internal controls over various aspects of the financial reporting process. In addition, the Manager will perform research and analysis around certain technical accounting areas and participate in the development, implementation, and maintenance of accounting policies.
The Manager will report to the Director of SEC Reporting & Internal Controls and will closely collaborate with many teams within the organization in order to understand the Company’s business operations and their potential disclosure implications in our public filings.
The successful candidate must have the ability to effectively communicate information to all levels within the organization, foster relationships across the organization and work independently in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. The candidate must possess a strong desire to learn and develop new skills while providing enhancements to the current financial reporting function. Strong organization and analytical skills, as well as attention to detail, are essential.
- Support all SEC reporting requirements including Forms 10-Q, 10-K, 8-K by drafting disclosures, analyzing the impact of new transactions or regulations, and preparing supporting schedules, as required.
- Coordinate, review and collect supporting information submitted by various business partners for the preparation of disclosures included in external filings,
- Support proxy filings through performance of quality assurance procedures,
- Monitor peer and industry filings to identify emerging trends and propose updates to the Company’s SEC filings to senior leadership,
- Participate in the development of accounting policies and advise on operational changes arising from new GAAP and SEC rules,
- Provide strategic analysis of financial data and ad hoc financial reporting.
Technical Accounting /Other:
- Prepare the valuation and technical analysis for the Company’s equity compensation,
- Provide technical accounting support by performing research, analysis and assessments of accounting issues to arrive at well-reasoned conclusions,
- Prepare memorandums that document these issues in a clear, logical, and comprehensive manner,
- Support the Corporate Controllership on special projects and activities, as needed.
- 5+ years of accounting experience. Public accounting experience with a national accounting firm preferred
- Strong understanding of US GAAP and SEC reporting requirements
- Strong attention to detail, decision-making, problem-solving, time management and organizational skills
- Experience in preparing or reviewing SEC financial filings for a public company
- Excellent Excel skills including financial modeling, accounting system and proficiency with other Microsoft Office products (Word, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Experience with Oracle/Hyperion reporting, Workiva and Fidelity a plus
- Ability to research and propose resolutions on complex accounting issues
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated commitment to teamwork and partnerships
A mixture of both Public Accounting and Industry experience would be a distinct advantage. Large company experience is also desired.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field is required. CPA or equivalent experience preferred.
Consolidations Accounting, Regional Accounting teams, Treasury, Corporate Tax, Internal and External Auditors and other BioMarin Departments.
Hybrid Flexible Work Arrangement: Employees on a Hybrid schedule can alternate time between home and office and are expected to work from the office two to four days a week. Required time in the office may depend on position and business needs. This is office is located in San Rafael, CA.
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.