Sustainable Chemistry Lead
We are seeking an experienced process chemist who is recognized as a strong scientific leader withinthe pharmaceutical industry and process chemistry discipline.
The Sustainable Chemistry Lead will align our chemistry strategy across Green Chemistry, Chemical Synthesis Innovation, and design of sustainable processes through batch, continuous and hybrid equipment and contribute to the advancement of our Chemical Research & Development (CRD) Future Vision by reducing process mass intensity and supporting the company towards becoming carbon neutral.
The role requires the ability to impact and influence within the global line and outside of the department at the enterprise level, to communicate the positive advantages of change, and to supervise a small team. Essential skills include consensus building, conflict resolution, and matrix leadership.
The successful candidate will partner with global CRD managers and scientists to align our chemistry strategy with sustainable chemistry targets driven by our long-term technology strategy.
- Develop an overarching chemistry strategy to meet key sustainability targets along with near-term and long-term investments.
- Lead the Pfizer Green Chemistry Team, to drive Green Chemistry Strategy across Pharmaceutical Sciences Small Molecules (PSSM), Pfizer Global Supply (PGS), and Environmental Health and Safety (EHS).
- Develop an external presence in Green Chemistry and Sustainability by authoring opinion papers, attending Green Chemistry Conferences, and engaging in the International Consortium, Innovation and Quality Pharms working groups.
- Develop tools to accelerate and measure sustainability understanding.
- Collate key metrics for the Pfizer portfolio, including product mass intensity (PMI). Ensure appropriate targets are set for key metrics to drive sustainability of CRD operations including external work.
- Align our external chemistry alliances and strategy with overall sustainable chemistry goals.
- Set clear semester-based goals for the Green Chemistry Team, aligned with our sustainable chemistry strategy.
- Partner with CRD experts in batch and continuous processing to align future evolution with sustainable chemistry targets.
- Partner with the API Sustainability Lead to ensure alignment of Green Chemistry activities with PSSM and EHS sustainability goals.
- Develop and maintain relationships with leading academic centers that teach and promote Green Chemistry and Sustainability.
- Engage with Pharma around best practices in sustainability through interactions or benchmarking opportunities.
- Partner with CRD leadership to direct internal resource towards the reduction of process mass intensity and other key sustainability metrics.
- Supervision initially of two colleagues dedicated to sustainable chemistry.
- Provide updates to CRD leadership, as well as PSSM and EHS leadership, on the sustainability strategy, metrics, and progress. Understand gaps and evaluate options to mediate.
- PhD in organic chemistry with a minimum of 10 years pharmaceutical process chemistry experience in small molecules.
Required Technical Skills
- Recognized as a strong scientific leader withinthe process chemistry discipline.
- An expert in the pharmaceutical development process. Contemporary awareness of scientific developments and opportunities in modern synthetic methods.
- A highly credible technical functional expert with knowledge of Green Chemistry principles and continuous and batch processing.
- Able to leverage technical and functional expertise across own and related disciplines.
- Innovative and creative approach to problem solving, with ability to impact and influence within the global line and outside of the department.
- Ability tolead in a fast-changing environment & communicate positive advantages of change.
- Rapid adopter of new technologies/methods of work to enhance business productivity and sustainability.
Preferred Technical Skills
- API process commercialization.
- Experienced leading cross-discipline matrix teams.
Candidate demonstrates a breadth of diverse leadership experiences and capabilities including: the ability to influence and collaborate with peers, develop and coach others, oversee and guide the work of other colleagues to achieve meaningful outcomes and create business impact.
- Ability to perform complex tasks with appropriate mental agility, including mathematical calculations and complex data analysis.
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Will be required to occasionally travel internationally to Sandwich UK or Ringaskiddy Ireland to support team goals as well as to conferences (10%).
- Relocation support available
- Last Date to Apply: June 13th, 2022
- Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus
Pfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider’s name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.Research and Development