Senior Manager / Senior Global Category Strategy Manager, PharmSci Devices
For more than 170 years, Pfizer has continuously worked to make a difference by delivering innovative therapies that improve the lives of our patients. By building a talented community of colleagues that align with our patient-focused purpose and core values, Pfizer has improved global health and impacted more than 780 million patients around the world.
In 2021, Pfizer expanded its global footprint to Tampa, establishing a strategic powerhouse that brings together multi-disciplinary, professional services including Finance, Accounting, Treasury, Digital, HR Services, Sourcing, Commercial and Project Management into a single, centralized location. With so many diverse and highly-skilled colleagues supporting multiple functions and services across the organization, Pfizer Tampa offers ample opportunity to engage in newer ways of working that enhance, simplify, and transform how we deliver treatments to our patients.
Located in Heights Union, the Pfizer Tampa site offers a modern industrial design, the latest in innovative technology, and close proximity to Downtown with views of the Tampa Riverwalk and access to the Channel district and Bayshore Boulevard. From an onsite fitness center to top floor panoramic balconies and outdoor patio, our activity-based space will provide various ways of working to offer collaboration and flexibility to colleagues. The Pfizer Tampa site has constructed an atmosphere that fosters interaction and prioritizes colleague health and wellness.
Additionally, to achieve breakthroughs that change patients’ lives, Pfizer is revolutionizing and evolving how colleagues work today. This year, Pfizer launched a new initiative that we call Log In For Your Day where a majority of colleagues can arrange with their manager to work remotely two or three days a week while still maintaining the ability to collaborate regularly in person at our sites. This flexible working model blends the best of remote work and on-site collaboration to drive greater flexibility, support work-life balance, and promote a vibrant, agile, and innovative culture.
Global Sourcing & Enterprise Services (S&ES) delivers world-class sourcing / procurement capabilities to Pfizer, partnering with internal Pfizer customers to ensure they receive maximum value for every dollar spent with Pfizer suppliers. We accomplish this by executing effective strategic processes, including category management, supplier management and sourcing projects, all supported by efficient procure to pay processes. We add value by aligning Pfizer with the best suppliers, promoting continuous improvement in supplier performance and driving compliance with Pfizer’s intellectual property and privacy requirements. We strive to obtain the right price for the right product or service.
This role leads the strategic sourcing category management supporting Medical Devices & Combination Products development and clinical supply manufacturing services to Pharmaceutical Sciences Small Molecule Parenterals Centre of Excellence (PSSM PCOE) and Biotherapeutics Pharmaceutical Sciences (BTxPS) organizations including both innovative and generic products. The role will also support other Pharmaceutical Sciences category sourcing and/or internal customers as needed and directed by manager / Pharm Sci Zone Leader. The objective of this role is to continuously improve through innovative solutions the value, quality and service received by Pfizer within the assigned spend areas. In addition to exemplary sourcing and demand management practices, supplier relationship management, and risk management, this role requires significant collaboration and stakeholder partnering, data analysis, industry trending, and benchmarking to ensure proactive and innovative strategies are delivered in a timely manner aligned with current and future business requirements.
The key tasks include, but are not limited to:
I - Category strategy collaboration and operational implementation
- Lead the strategic sourcing process for Medical Devices & Combination Products services within Pharmaceutical Sciences Small Molecule Parenterals Centre of Excellence (PSSM PCOE) and Biotherapeutics Pharmaceutical Sciences (BTxPS) organizations and related category/clients or other Pharm Sci categories as needed, including identify needs, conduct pre-project planning, define projects, collect internal and external data, perform strategic analysis and identify opportunities, formulate procurement strategies and develop implementation plans.
- Develop close working relationships with key leaders and teams within BTxPS and PCOE so that S&ES is critically involved in decision making related to external activities.
- Coordinate with other R&D S&ES and Pfizer Global Supply (PGS) category strategy managers and sourcing groups to identify and drive effective outsourcing strategies across categories and stakeholders.
- Develop appropriate risk management strategies which anticipate and address an extensive range of risk scenarios in order to assure supply of Pfizer's requirements.
- Effectively utilize Pfizer's eSourcing capabilities in advancing sourcing initiatives.
- Lead and/or participate on project teams as required or assigned.
II - Sourcing activity and contract negotiation:
- Form, lead and facilitate cross-functional teams as applicable to execute the procurement process and plans; enable supplier selection and decision process; lead / facilitate contract development, negotiation and execution process.
III - Supplier Relationship Management:
- Execute Pfizer's Supplier Management process in accordance with program guidelines.
- Utilize Continuous Improvement to drive the resolution of issues and improve supplier performance.
IV - Client Engagement and Customer Relationship Management:
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with key stakeholders to support the sourcing process and challenge where necessary to derive optimal outcomes.
- Pro-actively seek out opportunities for value delivery in support of stakeholder lines (savings, efficiencies, innovative technologies, new business models, etc.)
- Coordinate with other functions and impacted stakeholders to assure timely implementation and compliance with the agreed to sourcing strategies. Ability to navigate matrix organizations.
- Work within S&ES and other Pfizer functions and departments to assist budget owners in development of operating budgets through effective communication of supplier pricing and related cost improvement initiatives.
V - Business processes and compliance:
- Work across groups within Global Business Services (GBS) and S&ES to implement efficient P2P processes with assigned suppliers.
- Support Pfizer's Diversity and Inclusion objectives as applicable to strategic category management within S&ES.
VI - Reporting:
- Benchmark industry best practices in the assigned spend areas and lead the adoption within Pfizer as applicable.
- Continually evaluate and monitor market conditions and adjust sourcing strategies accordingly.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree required, ideally in a scientific or technical discipline. Master’s Degree desirable.
- 8 – 10 years relevant experience in sourcing / procurement category management.
- Specific experience and knowledge of Medical Devices & Combination Products development and commercialization highly desirable;
- Scientific / Technical background and knowledge of R&D and commercialization process within pharmaceutical/biotech industry setting;
- Candidate must have demonstrated proficiency in: (i) building effective & collaborative working relationships with internal customers to influence and incorporate best-practices in sourcing processes and outcomes; (ii) project management facilitating complex activities with cross-functional teams to deliver sourcing goals on time;
- Demonstrated knowledge of sourcing (RFx), procurement systems, processes and procedures;
- Knowledge and experience in different types of contracts (CDA, MSA etc) and demonstrable ability to negotiate and execute complex contracts;
- Skilled negotiator with superior listening, influencing and critical thinking skills. Experienced in negotiating with suppliers (contracts, pricing etc);
- Experience of supplier performance and relationship management (methods, tools, practice);
- Experience and ability in data analysis to support decision-making, identify actions;
- Management skills in assessing business issues;
- Excellent leadership, communication and interpersonal interactions skills;
Candidate demonstrates a breadth of diverse leadership experiences and capabilities including: the ability to influence and collaborate with peers, develop and coach others, oversee and guide the work of other colleagues to achieve meaningful outcomes and create business impact.
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Occasional international calls outside of normal business hours
- Some travel to suppliers and other Pfizer sites (estimated 5% but may vary depending on priorities).
Other Job Details:
- Eligible for Relocation Package: YES
Pfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider’s name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.Global Procurement#LI-PFE