Sr. Category Manager
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
As Senior Category Manager, you are part of the TOPS Global Procurement (TGP) organization accountable for driving and delivering Procurement value across a group of suppliers to support stakeholders’ and organizational strategic objectives.
TGP is a key function within TOPS that delivers value to BioMarin by leveraging market intelligence, subject matter expertise and business insights in the procurement of good and services and management of BioMarin’s third party spend. Through collaboration with our external suppliers and internal business partners, TGP helps bring innovative new medicines to patients.
Category Managers are responsible for developing category strategies and executing the category strategy projects in partnership with functional stakeholders. The role reports performance against targets and KPIs, executes sourcing and new material creation processes, and facilitates supplier business reviews, including supplier scorecards. The role supports contract life cycle management, participates in contract negotiations, and helps to ensure contraction value realization and supplier performance through effective supplier management.
Category Managers support Manufacturing, Quality, and Process Development by ensuring continuity of supply and effectively addressing compliance and quality requirements and issue management. They manage new item creation process, Approved Supplier List, Supplier Change Notifications, supplier investigations/deviations, regulatory projects, business continuity management incident response, and CMC/Process Development initiatives. They ensure data integrity and support the following systems – GEP, Spring CLM, and Coupa.
- Develops category strategy and drives execution of category strategy projects and programs, including drafting and socializing project charters.
- Works with business partners to identify and prioritize an annual project pipeline that deliver value for the business, including risk mitigation, supply continuity, cost optimization, innovation, ensuring quality supply of materials, and compliance.
- Execute category initiatives, ensure delivery to milestones, and reporting of value/savings.
- Develop, negotiate, support, and manage supplier contracts with legal and in line with stakeholder / business needs.
- Effectively leads supplier relationships management, including executive business reviews and continuous improvement programs.
- Utilizes spend analytic tools to understand category spend and identify opportunities to gain efficiencies, including optimize cost savings and risk mitigation.
- Leverage business intelligence to identify risks and opportunities within their category.
- Assess market intelligence to identify strategies that optimize value, drive innovation, and mitigate risks.
- Lead cross functional category team meetings, actively participates in Raw Material Approval Board and Supplier Review governance team meetings in support of their strategic objectives.
- Effectively execute sourcing process for goods and services, including supplier evaluation, selection and contracting.
- Monitor category spending, both in aggregate and via patterns/cycles, and continuously evaluate options to reduce total cost of ownership.
- Develop in-depth knowledge of category specifications, BioMarin products and processes and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain in-depth understanding of supplier capabilities, capacity, and overall financial stability. Assess supply risk and develop appropriate strategies to mitigate that risk. Ensure that suppliers have developed and tested contingency plans.
- Demonstrate in-depth understanding of contract terms and conditions including key performance requirements. Assure compliance to contracting policy and established contracts.
- Lead and facilitate resolution of supplier issues. Work closely with all related internal functions including Process Development, Manufacturing, MSAT, Quality, Compliance, Regulatory Affairs, and R&D.
- Establish functional scorecards and other communication vehicles to measure and report performance including supplier performance and value realized.
- Build cross functional awareness of the category management role across the organization.
- Lead continuous improvement initiatives throughout the organization in the enhancement of functional processes and systems.
- Supports regulatory projects, business continuity mgmt. incident response teams and CMC/Process Development initiatives.
- Ensures data integrity and supports systems including GEP Smart, Coupa, Oracle
EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's Degree in engineering, supply chain, or life sciences; MBA/MS desirable, C.P.M. desirable.
- 5+ years strategic procurement experience with extensive knowledge and experience in category management, sourcing, and contract negotiations and supplier management., preferably with Single Use Technologies
- 3+ years in biotech / life sciences industry.
- Strong leadership and communication skills, including solid interpersonal, analytical and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and influence stakeholders.
- Able to develop solutions to complex problems and ensures solutions are consistent with organizational objectives.
- Exercises independent judgement in methods, techniques, and evaluations criteria for obtaining results
- Demonstrates influence on overall department objectives and long-range goals of the organization.
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.