Director, Digital Strategy Lead, North America Brand Management
BioMarin’s Commercial organization supports our global sales and marketing efforts around the world. Our global sales force continues to solidify the company’s commercial presence in the United States and Europe and is rapidly growing in other regions, such as Latin America, the Middle East and Asia-Pacific. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The North America Brand Management organization supports this corporate vision through developing and implementing brand strategy and tactics that drives growth while supporting the core BioMarin values of patient centricity, innovation, ethics, respect, accountability, and continuous learning. BioMarin currently markets 6 brands in North America: Kuvan and Palynziq for PKU, Vimizim for MPS IVA, Naglazyme for MPS VI, Brineura for CLN2, and Voxzogo for Achdondroplasia. Our 7th product, Roctavian for Hemophilia A, is targeting a late 2022 or early 2023 US launch.
The North America organization is foundational to the success of BioMarin as an enterprise. As we launch into hyper competitive markets and the markets for many of our foundational brands become competitive, we must scale our technical competencies, capabilities, systems, processes and people skills accordingly. Critical to this growth will be a successful digital transformation. We are seeking a strong, experienced digital strategist to lead our North America organization through this digital transformation, including but not limited to overarching vision and strategy for the necessary people (upskilling and reskilling existing teams), processes (fine tuning what is currently in place and developing new ways of working) and systems (guiding our infrastructure to enable a true Omnichannel customer experience) to enable this transformation.
The Director, Digital Strategy Lead, North America Brand Management will report into the Executive Director, North America Brand Management, and sit on the North America Brand Management Leadership team. This experienced leader will also have a dotted line into the Hemophilia business unit lead, ensuring close collaboration across all brand needs on this digital transformation.
As BioMarin’s commercial organization continues to grow, the scope and complexity of our business warrants additional strategic and operational leadership. At the same time, our enterprise is lean and efficient on headcount and leaders at all levels of the organization must be willing to roll up their sleeve and complete (vs. delegate) work. This position will need to act as both a visionary leader, helping to craft our journey to Omnichannel, and also a “doer” willing to roll up their sleeves and participate on critical projects and initiatives. The “how” this leader collaborates with cross-functional stakeholders is equally important to the “what” this leader brings to the table in terms of Digital Strategy skills. This position will serve as a center of excellence and internal expert for key stakeholders and collaborators across our Digital Transformation, including but not limited to the North America Brand Management team (all brands and governance except Hemophilia), Hemophilia business unit, Global Brand Management (in particular the Global Digital Transformation Lead), Systems and Infrastructure team, Digital Operations, Compliance, Legal, IT/IM, and field teams.
Demonstrated leadership, professionalism, cross-functional facilitation and collaboration, strategic and tactical digital marketing, organizational, problem solving, communications, and project management skills are required as well as enthusiasm to collaborate in a thriving team environment. Strong results orientation and a sense of urgency to respectfully get things done are critical. This professional should be a disciplined individual that embraces innovative approaches, and is comfortable in a nimble and growing commercial organization. The Director, Digital Strategy Lead must be creative and adaptable to unique and changing situations, be goal-oriented, know how to set aggressive, achievable targets, and motivate internal teams as well as third-party vendors and agencies. A strong passion for supporting patients with Rare Disease and their HCPs through compelling digital infrastructure, digital marketing and educational programs and strong operational execution is essential.
This digital transformation will benefit nearly every function within our North America organization, representing a significant opportunity to drive meaningful change, with substantial impact and visibility.
- Provide strategy leadership and influence aligned to channel goal definition, content creation, customer journey mapping, channel orchestration and measurement
o Objective assessment of digital performance
o Translates metrics from digital channels into insights and action for brand strategy
- Design, implement, and maintain/refresh through time (through self or vendors) digital upskilling curriculum for all NorAm brand marketers, ensuring our commercial organization is scalable and poised for future growth. Our vision is that every BioMarin marketer is a digital marketer, and we need a strong leader to help upskill / reskill the teams as appropriate
o Help drive digital upskilling needs assessments / opportunities within our field organization (sales representatives and clinical coordinators, and in the future field market access) and design upskilling curriculums as appropriate
- Keep brand teams current on emerging and evolving digital technologies, strategies, tactics, systems, processes, or programs that could benefit the patients and HCPs we serve, and/or improve our internal efficiencies or effectiveness
o Identify best approaches for staying current (conference attendance, vendor presentations, other non-pharma industry analogs, etc.), and how to best translate this knowledge to full brand management department and hemophilia business unit
- Serve as a center of excellence for digital strategy and tactics, advising brand marketers on agency projects/SOWs/briefs as well as participating in vendor pitches/presentations and RFPs
o Note: the brand leads for PKU, MPS, CLN2, ACH and HEM will still own the overarching brand strategy for their products, but work closely with the Digital Strategy lead to ensure optimized digital vision and execution plans are included in their planning
- Represent North America on the Global Digital Transformation Team (comprised of representatives from NorAm, EMEA, APAC, LATAM, Global, Systems, and Digital Operations); champion NorAm needs on our enterprise wide journey to Omnichannel
o Since the U.S. is the only market compliantly able to implement many innovative digital strategies and tactics (e.g., direct to patient marketing), the Digital Strategy Lead will need extensive prior U.S. experience
o Extensive campaign, omnichannel and multi-channel experience, building and managing engagement-oriented campaigns
o Participate as needed on governance forums for digital best practices / ways of working for BioMarin
o Collaborate with global colleagues to ensure deliverables and timelines are aligned to North America business needs; provide critical line of communication between Global Digital Transformation team and NorAM leadership on deliverable scope and timing
- Ensure the successful interface and integration with brand and field teams, allowing robust advisory support that will optimize delivery of customer engagement/experience
- Collaborate with BioMarin’s Systems/Infrastructure and Digital Operations teams to build and scale frameworks for omnichannel digital planning, digital product subject expertise and resource planning
- Advise brand teams on media strategy as we enter competitive markets (embrace the mindset of ‘outsmart vs outspend’)
- Frequent cross-functional collaboration with multiple internal groups (e.g., brand managers/marketing, compliance, sales, field based clinical support, commercial learning and development, global brand, etc.), to set and collaborate on aligned Commercial vision and execution plan for NorAm’s digital transformation and Omnichannel enablement
- Ability to lead and influence in a matrix environment, able to effectively collaborate with virtual teams and able to influence at a senior level
- Presentation of key activities and initiatives to North America and Global Brand Management teams, and Commercial executive management, as needed
- Active member of the North America Brand Teams (and North America Brand Management Leadership Team), representing Digital Transformation priorities and insights, including attendance at ongoing team meetings and annual brand/business planning events
- Minimum 10 years of related experience in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry, completive market experience required; open to digital experience in other industries but must have basic understanding of the compliance and regulatory environment within pharma and biotech
- Experience with Digital Strategy and Marketing required.
- Experience with multiple digital channels required (web strategy/design/architecture, social media, email, virtual events, drivers/SEM/SEO, Cookies, media, other channels or platforms, etc.)
- Experience with Digital Asset Management system(s) strongly preferred
- Experience with sales enablement platforms strongly preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment, including cross-functional influence without authority, is critical.
- Demonstrated ability to manage vendors to budgets and outcomes
- Willingness to give and receive feedback with professionalism, both positive and constructive, is required
- Strong facilitation and leadership skills required
- Ability to interact with and positively influence all levels of business across multiple departments, including executive level (e.g., Executive Director North America Brand Management, Vice President Global Brand Management, Vice President Global Compliance and Ethics, Executive Director North America HEM business unit, etc.)
- Strong analytical skills, solid general business skills and a good understanding of the US and Canadian pharmaceutical markets.
- Strong executive presence and ability to represent regional business performance, priorities, and needs to executive management
- Excellent project management, attention to detail and executional experience a must-have.
- Bachelor in Business, Arts or Science required
- MBA preferred
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.