Senior Scientist, Functional Genomics
Pfizer is using human genetics and functional genomics technologies to inform the discovery and validation of new drug targets and the mechanistic understanding of disease pathology. A necessary component of genetic studies applied to drug discovery is interrogation of gene function in a high-throughput manner. To this end, Pfizer’s Functional Genomics group, with labs in both Cambridge and New York City applies the latest gene editing and screening tools for examining gene function, in order to bring the best targets into the portfolio and deepen our understanding of targets under development. Our lab works closely with Pfizer’s Centers for Therapeutic Innovation (CTI) to explore the underlying mechanisms of disease biology.
We are seeking an experienced molecular biologist, with expertise in functional genomics technologies, to contribute to the success of the Functional Genomics laboratory in New York City. This is an exciting opportunity to apply cutting-edge methods and contribute to the target portfolio of one of the world’s leading developers of novel therapeutics.How You Will Achieve It
- Apply a versatile repertoire of gene editing, functional genomics, and molecular biological tools to rapidly test the functional consequences of genetic variants in appropriate cell-based model systems
- Design and conduct functional genomics screens in pooled and arrayed formats
- Provide leadership in applying these technologies to challenging projects requiring innovative approaches
- Analyze screens and work with genetics, computational, and other colleagues to identify and champion new targets
- Work with external contract providers, when appropriate, to expand capabilities in the functional genomics space
- Work closely with other New York Functional Genomics and CTI lab personnel, and maintain close and productive interactions with the Functional Genomics and other Target Sciences lab personnel based in Cambridge
- Stay current with gene editing and related technologies in order to evaluate new approaches and incorporate improvements into the offerings of the Functional Genomics Center
- PhD degree in molecular biology or related field, with 2-3 years of postdoctoral or industry experience and expertise in gene editing and other gene modulation technologies
- Track record of significant successful contribution to research projects, leading to advancement of projects in portfolio and/or peer-reviewed publications, preferably utilizing gene editing methodologies
- Expertise with an array of molecular and cell biology methods, including cloning and vector construction, PCR-based expression analysis, and cell-based assays, and expertise in cell culture and lentiviral production
- Familiarity with bioinformatics and computational approaches to target discovery
- Previous experience in disease-focused research, particularly in cancer, immune/inflammatory diseases, or repeat expansion disorders
- Ability to effectively interact and collaborate with other scientists, both within the group and in the disease Research Units; excellent communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills essential
Pfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider’s name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.Research and Development