Senior Scientist, Robotics & Automation
Pfizer’s purpose is to deliver breakthroughs that change patients’ lives. Research and Development is at the heart of fulfilling Pfizer’s purpose as we work to translate advanced science and technologies into the therapies and vaccines that matter most. Whether you are in the discovery sciences, ensuring drug safety and efficacy or supporting clinical trials, you will apply cutting edge design and process development capabilities to accelerate and bring the best in class medicines to patients around the world.What You Will Achieve
The High-throughput Clinical Immunoassays & Diagnostics Team (HCID) resides under Vaccine Research & Development (VRD) and supports Pfizer’s vaccine programs. HCID’s mission is to develop, validate and maintain various immunoassays to support both pre-clinical and clinical vaccine studies.
This laboratory-based position manages assay support functions within the Robotics and Automation Team. The job responsibilities include:
Providing managerial oversight of laboratory operations in support of sample preparation
Troubleshooting of issues with equipment and/or robotic methods
Stocking of laboratory consumables and monitoring of inventory
Ensuring appropriate levels of cGXP compliance, including documentation, specimen/data tracking, and audit readiness
Authoring of standard operating procedures and laboratory deviation reports
Coordinating colleague training
Maintaining and promoting laboratory safety and compliance
Coaching and development of direct reports
How You Will Achieve It
- Manage the day to day assay support operations within VRD HCID to maintain the timely delivery of assay-ready plates for all assay groups, in support of VRD’s vaccine programs. Work collaboratively with scheduling team and manager.
- Ensure that all work is performed safely; and regulated tasks/activities are performed in compliance with cGXP and Pfizer/regulatory agency requirements.
- Identify process problems, suggest improvements, and initiate troubleshooting. The incumbent performs complex experiments and calculations, and discusses conclusions on the results obtained.
- Maintain open communication with downstream assay groups to ensure issues are resolved in a timely manner and appropriate corrective action(s) are implemented.
- Provide oversight of other required activities, including but not limited to robotic method wet run testing, instrument and method qualification.
- Author and review standard operating procedures and laboratory deviation reports.
- Participate in laboratory management by projecting the long-term needs and facilitate the ordering of robotic workstation supplies and reagents required for routine laboratory operation.
- Present experimental results at group meetings and project meetings, as needed.
- Manage the performance of a team of 3 to 6 direct reports. Assist direct and indirect reports with setting their semester goals and creating a personal development plan. Provide regular feedback and coaching to colleagues. Conduct regular performance discussions and year-end performance appraisals.
- BS in a scientific discipline with 6 years of industry experience or MS in a scientific discipline with 4 years of industry experience.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Previous supervisory experience
- Prior experience in a high throughput setting is preferred, specifically with overseeing laboratory operations.
- Experience with the use of robotic liquid handlers and other laboratory automation equipment.
- Training in cGxP regulations and other international regulatory guidelines is a plus.
- Hands-on experience with immunoassays.
- Proven ability to perform basic analyses of laboratory data and interpret the results.
- Work is primarily performed at the laboratory bench or at an office desk using a computer.
- The job involves lifting loads, generally not more than 20 pounds.
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
- This position may require occasional weekend and evening work to meet critical business timelines.
- This position may require occasional travel to scientific meetings, between Pfizer sites and other business-related travel.
OTHER JOB DETAILS
- Eligible for Relocation Package
- Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus
Pfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider’s name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.Research and Development