Scientist, Downstream Process Development
Ambrx is a biopharmaceutical company enabling a new field of protein medicinal chemistry, using a fundamentally new technology that directs incorporation of amino acids beyond nature’s conserved set into biosynthetic proteins to produce high value biologics products.
We are seeking an independent, experienced, and self-motivated Scientist to be a key member of the downstream process development group in a fast-paced, dynamic organization. The successful candidate will independently design, execute, and document laboratory studies supporting the research, development, and scale-up of therapeutic proteins from mammalian and microbial expression systems. The individual will develop phase‑appropriate purification processes for pre-clinical and clinical production and play an active role in technology transfer to support toxicology and clinical manufacturing at contract development and manufacturing organizations (CDMOs). Additionally, this individual must be a goal-oriented team player with excellent troubleshooting and communication skills and adaptive to a timeline driven work environment.
- PhD/MS/BS in Biochemistry, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or related field with 2/6/10 years of industry experience in developing protein/antibody purification processes to support pre-clinical and clinical stage programs.
- Experience in the downstream process development and scale-up of therapeutic proteins is required. Experience in antibody-drug conjugates (ADC) is highly preferred.
- Hands-on experience and scientific knowledge of the following are required
- Modern purification techniques for proteins and protein conjugates (chromatography, filtration (TFF and NFF), and conjugation)
- Chromatography – affinity, IEX, HIC, and multi-modal
- Programming and operating chromatography (ÄKTA) and TFF systems
- Column packing and evaluation at various scales
- Basic analytical techniques (i.e., gel electrophoresis, HPLC, UV-Vis, ELISA, etc.)
- GMP manufacturing
- Experience in process characterization, scale-up, and technology transfer to CDMO to support clinical manufacturing is highly desired.
- Process development and optimization using statistical tools (DOE and data analysis) is a plus.
- Proficient scientific writing skills, including protocols, reports, batch records, and regulatory filings (e.g., IND, IMPD, etc.).
- Must be self-motivated, detail-oriented, collaborative, and able to work effectively in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision.
- Excellent communication, organization, and collaborative skills are essential.
To be considered as an applicant, please submit your resume/CV referencing the specific position of interest and position code.. Applicants whose qualifications and experience most closely match the requirements of the position will be reviewed. Candidates will only be contacted for evaluative discussions. Ambrx offers competitive compensation & benefits. EOE