Senior Counsel, Business Development and Alliance Management
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science.In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
Bristol Myers Squibb is looking for an experienced transactional attorney who can be successful within our fast-paced, adaptive and focused culture.
This position will be primarily responsible for providing legal advice, guidance and support for Alliance Management, clinical collaborations and Business Development transactions for Translational Medicine, Digital Health and Research Enabling Transactions. M&A transactions will be part of the responsibility.
Position will report to the Assistant General Counsel, Business Development and Alliance Management.
- Lead negotiations and provide direct counseling to internal clients on clinical collaborations and on routine, moderate and complex Business Development transactions for Translational Medicine, Digital Health and Research Enabling Transactions.
- Provide legal advice and legal interpretation on rights and obligations under executed agreements overseen by Alliance Management.
- Assist with resolution of disputes under executed agreements overseen by Alliance Management.
- Lead negotiations for new agreements that expand the relationship with existing collaborators that are parties to executed agreements overseen by Alliance Management.
- Advise internal clients in structuring and advising on various transactions in a way that advances the company’s strategy while addressing legal risks.
- Draft, negotiate and finalize routine, non-routine, complex and novel contracts in an effective, efficient and time-sensitive manner.
- Identify and resolve critical legal issues and identify and help resolve critical business issues arising from transactions.
- Assist with negotiating and drafting agreements for some M&A transactions.
- Proactively advise internal clients regarding transaction issues in close collaboration with lawyers from other practice areas and relevant subject matter experts throughout the company.
- Demonstrate a service-oriented approach to advising internal client groups.
- Demonstrate full commitment to Bristol-Myers Squibb’s mission and values.
- Law degree from recognized university. Qualification to practice law in New Jersey or ability to obtain a NJ in-house counsel limited license.
- Minimum of 10 years of legal experience.
- Experience drafting and negotiating Business Development agreements related to the bio/pharmaceutical or life-sciences industry, including license agreements, collaboration agreements, sponsored research agreements, master research and development agreements and complex agreements for diagnostic products for therapeutics.
- Understanding of health care industry.
- Has excellent interpersonal skills and can successfully manage internal client expectations and can work/operate well with a variety of personalities/capabilities in cross-functional teams, matrix environment.
- Creative, thoughtful and practical problem-solving skills.
- Must have high integrity, ability to assess risk, ability to make decisions and think strategically while applying knowledge of applicable legal issues.
- Listens to internal client needs and communicates with clients with confidence and diplomacy.
- Excellent verbal and writing skills and business judgment are required.
- Ability to communicate effectively with management and senior management personnel.
- Ability to train and develop the other members of the team.
- Ability to work independently, effectively and efficiently and perform against broad objectives.
- Possess strong work ethic.
- Preference for candidates with a strong scientific background, especially in biology, chemistry or biochemistry, and with experience supporting Alliance Management and drafting and negotiating complex Translational Medicine and Digital Health agreements.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.