Senior Director, Research Operations
Graphite Bio is a clinical-stage, next-generation gene editing company harnessing high efficiency targeted gene integration to develop a new class of therapies to potentially cure a wide range of serious and life-threatening diseases. Graphite Bio is pioneering a precision gene editing approach that could enable a variety of applications to transform human health through its potential to achieve one of medicine’s most elusive goals: to precisely “find & replace” any gene in the genome. Graphite Bio’s platform allows it to precisely correct mutations, replace entire disease-causing genes with normal genes or insert new genes into predetermined, safe locations. The company was co-founded by academic pioneers in the fields of gene editing and gene therapy, including Maria Grazia Roncarolo, M.D., and Matthew Porteus, M.D., Ph.D.
Graphite Bio is recruiting an experienced, passionate, and organized operations leader to be our Sr. Director of Operations for our Early Development Team. In this role, you will work closely with our highly cross-functional Research and Development Leaders, with unparalleled visibility into the inner workings of our longest-standing line of business. You will use your business operations, resource management, and internal communications skills to enable the teams around you as we bring innovative gene therapies to the market If you’re passionate about creating structure, empowering others, and improving the lives of our patients, this may be the role for you.
This is a leadership position that will advise and influence cross functional teams to maximize the business and scientific objectives for the organization. This role requires the ability to cultivate and maintain strong relationships within the organization.
What You Will Do:
- Collaborate with R&D leadership team in the development of performance goals and long-term operational plans
- Develop, implement, and monitor day-to-day operational systems and processes that provide visibility into goals, progress, and obstacles for our key initiatives
- Build and maintain relationships with all department heads, external partners, and vendors to make decisions regarding operational activity and strategic goals
- Lead internal task forces and short-term deep dive projects as needed
- Be a thought-partner, trusted advisor, and member of the R&D leadership team on business, operational strategies and solutions, and maintain business cadences including recurring Leadership meetings, off-sites and internal communications.
- Routinely set agendas, develop materials, and facilitate/emcee large, dynamic, or high-stakes meetings with executive visibility
- Keep diverse stakeholders on track and drive actionable decisions
- Create and maintain with RED leadership communication and decision- making processes and norms
- Facilitate RED Leadership Team meetings, including preparing agendas, ensuring materials are sent in advance, time is well spent, and objectives are achieved
- Drive and execute complex and cross functional initiatives in a timely manner
- Manage resources at a portfolio level, negotiate and track shifting allocations, vet new tasks ahead of the formal approval process
- In partnership with the RED Leadership Team and People Team to plan headcount needs and ideal organizational alignment, and partner closely with Finance on annual planning
- Lead culture initiatives with People Team, including recruiting, onboarding, learning and development, talent reviews and retention, org design
- Establish strong relationships across all levels and functions
- Manage and drive cross-functional relationships across research, operations, clinical, regulatory, CMC, and QC/QA functions
- Strategize the allocation of budgets and resources across the Development Team
What You Will Bring:
- Ph.D. in technology, business, health or a related field, or equivalent practical experience
- 5+ years in drug development, life sciences, and/or healthcare industry
- Exceptional communication skills to represent complex topics with senior leaders
- Strong self-initiative and persistence with a bias for action; able to deal with a high degree of ambiguity and drive clarity
- Extensive experience with stakeholder management, cross-functional partnerships, and executive leadership and communication skills to be an articulate and persuasive leader across the organization
- Trustworthy, credible, and non-political; high level of integrity and excellent sense of judgment to drive organization-wide alignment.
- Highly collaborative, no job too big or too small; strong sense of teamwork
What Graphite Will Bring:
At Graphite Bio, we are intentionally building a community that is inspired, diverse, and curious. For this role, and all roles, we seek someone who is:
- Determined. You share our mission to bring curative gene editing to patients. And you know the need is urgent.
- People-focused. You prioritize relationships. You value differences and are an excellent listener.
- Adaptable. You seek solutions, even when things change. You prefer to find your way to “yes!”
Graphite Bio is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that our strength is in our differences. Our goal to build a diverse and inclusive team began on day one, and it will never end.
All company employees, regardless of work location, must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Fully vaccinated means a person has received all recommended doses in their primary series COVID-19 vaccine. Requests for an accommodation/exemption for medical or religious reasons, as well as under applicable state law, will be considered on a case-by-case basis consistent with applicable law.To all recruitment agencies: Graphite Bio does not accept agency resumes or applications. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, or Graphite Bio employees. Graphite Bio is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes or applications.