Senior/Research Associate - NGS Development
Freenome is a high growth biotech company on a mission since 2014 to create tools that empower everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease. To achieve this mission, Freenome is developing next-generation blood tests to detect cancer in its earliest, most treatable stages using our multiomics platform and machine learning techniques. Our first blood test will detect early-stage colorectal cancer and advanced adenomas.
At Freenome, you will participate in the development of quality control infrastructure to support molecular assays and contribute to our mission of early detection and intervention in human disease. As a (Senior) Research Associate in NGS Development, you will work closely with scientists and computational biologists to develop and implement quality control assays that will ensure the highest quality data is produced by our clinical lab. You will also work with process engineers and technology transfer scientists to implement efficient automated workflows and improve experimental and clinical throughput in a regulated high-throughput environment.
How you’ll contribute:
- Contribute to the development, validation, and execution of quality control assays that support our NGS platform, while diligently applying Good Laboratory Practices.
- Participate in monitoring of reagent quality and troubleshooting of reagent issues when they arise.
- Collaborate with computational biologists to analyze data generated by high-throughput assays, with clinical laboratory members to transition development protocols into clinical production, with process engineers to test and optimize robotic instruments, and with software engineers to build laboratory information infrastructure.
- Identify and implement process improvements across the lab by thinking critically about the execution of all experiments.
What you’ll bring:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics, or a related field.
- 2+ years (Research Associate) or 4+ years (Senior Research Associate) of full-time laboratory experience, preferably in a regulated laboratory environment (CLIA, GLP, GCP, IVD).
- Hands-on experience with DNA library preparation. Next generation sequencing and quality control assay development experience is preferred. Skillset including nucleic acid extraction, quantitation, fragmentation, PCR, and next generation sequencing.
- Ability to perform basic data analysis and critically examine experimental results.
- Proven track record of running successful experiments, preparing data for review, and giving effective scientific presentations.
- Clear communications skills and ability to work with team members in the same and adjacent disciplines.
As a condition of employment, you agree to know and comply with our COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all employees who work on-site and/or attend work-related events to be fully vaccinated and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible. Company employees working on-site are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law. Absent a reasonable accommodation or legal exception, you agree to provide proof of your vaccination status and to be fully vaccinated by your first day on-site, in accordance with our policy. If you are currently eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you also agree to provide proof of having received a booster. If you are not yet eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you must provide proof of receiving a booster within two weeks of becoming eligible.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
We have raised more than $1.1B from leading investors including Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital Management, Roche Venture Fund, Kaiser Permanente, Novartis and the American Cancer Society’s BrightEdge Ventures.
A ‘Freenomer’ is a mission-driven employee who is fueled by the opportunity to make a positive impact on patients' lives, who thrives in a culture of respect and cross collaboration, and whose work makes a significant impact on the company and their career.
Freenomers are technical, creative, visionary, grounded, empathetic and passionate. We build teams around divergent expertise, allowing us to solve problems and ascertain opportunities in unique ways. Freenomers are some of the most talented experts in their fields, joining together to advance healthcare, one breakthrough at a time.
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Competitive compensation
- Pre-IPO equity
- Flexible PTO (exempt) and generous PTO (non-exempt)
- Comprehensive health coverage, including medical, dental, and vision
- Wellness and mental health resources, including Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs), Paid maternity and paternity leave
- 401(k) plan
- $250.00 new hire stipend to enhance your home office experience
- Plus, a variety of other perks, including pre-tax commuter benefits, two paid volunteer days per year, pet insurance, and additional discounts
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
Notice to agencies:
Our in-house Talent Acquisition Team manages all employment opportunities at Freenome. Agencies and independent recruiters must be approved as a vendor by Freenome’s Talent Acquisition team before submitting candidates to any Freenome employee.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes or biographies from agencies under any circumstances. Any unsolicited resumes sent to Freenome, including those sent to a Freenome email address or directly to Freenome employees, will be considered Freenome property. Freenome will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. Freenome will consider any candidate for whom an Agency has submitted an unsolicited resume to have been referred by the Agency free of any charges or fees.
Please do not contact Freenome employees directly. Compliance with this request will impact our decision to work with you.