Grants Administrator- Remote
The Gladstone Institutes seeks a Grants and Contracts Administrator or Senior Grants and Contracts Administrator to join its Grants and Contracts Department. Reporting to the Grants and Contracts Manager, this position provides direct support to a portfolio of Gladstone principal investigators in all aspects of pre- and post-award management. This is a full-time position that can be on-site in San Francisco or remote (U.S. West Coast business hours are required).
The incumbent is a trusted partner to their assigned principal investigators throughout the Grants and Contracts lifecycle and works cross-functionally with individual laboratories and administrative teams to provide excellent service and generate high-quality deliverables. The successful candidate will:
- Work with investigators and research staff to develop grant budgets and proposals, providing expert interpretation of sponsor regulations and requirements and ensuring all proposal components are in compliance;
- Submit research proposals to sponsors after obtaining all necessary institutional approvals;
- Negotiate acceptable award terms;
- Assess and mitigate compliance and audit risks;
- Ensure timely set-up of awards in Gladstone’s financial systems;
- Maintain grant/contract records in compliance with institute and sponsor policies;
- Work with investigators to identify potential funding sources;
- Process non-competing continuations, progress reports, supplements, subawards, research agreements, prior approval requests, no-cost extensions and all other award and agreement modifications as needed;
- Monitor project expenditures for compliance with applicable policy;
- Monitor spending against awards to ensure that projects are on-budget;
- Monitor overall laboratory expense, forecast investigator financial position given spending and staffing patterns, and work with investigators to identify remedial options, alternatives, and strategies, as appropriate;
- Maintain overall compliance with institute policies and procedures, sponsor requirements, terms and conditions, and federal regulations;
- Serve as a source of information on fiscal policies and procedures including federal funding regulations, and become an expert in specific policy areas according to the unique composition of each investigator’s portfolio;
- Prepare payroll and effort adjustments and journal entries as appropriate;
- Process award closeout, including final financial reports;
- Perform ongoing subrecipient monitoring and review all incoming and outgoing subaward invoicing for compliance with applicable award terms, policy, and regulation;
- Participate in Gladstone’s annual Single Audit (formerly known as the “A-133 Audit”);
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Research Administration at Gladstone is a fast-paced, relentlessly evolving, boundary-pushing enterprise. Our team members:
- Lead and truly own the sponsored research lifecycle for their assigned investigators, managing a high volume of work and competing deadlines with urgency, efficiency, compassion, and good judgement;
- Take pride in their impeccable attention to detail;
- Cultivate close and effective working relationships through excellent customer service, and by anticipating the needs of other individuals and teams at Gladstone;
- Are unafraid to chart a daily course through the unusual, the unforeseen and the uncertain;
- Are naturally resourceful, analytical, hungry to learn new tools and techniques, and driven to find and deliver solutions;
- Are curious and passionate about the scientific progress they actively support.
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Strong preference will be given to candidates with 1-3 years of Workday Financials experience; Workday Payroll/HR experience additionally preferred.
- 1-3 years of NIH grants management experience. Experience with other sponsors who support biomedical research (DOD/USAMRAA, NSF, CIRM) a plus.
- Comfort working remotely and using tools to facilitate remote work, e.g., Zoom, Slack.
- Demonstrated pre-and post-award financial management experience, including proposal development and post-award management.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel, with particular regard to Excel formulas.
- Experience using electronic pre- and post-award systems such as Grants.gov Workspace, NIH ASSIST, and NSF Fastlane/Research.gov.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and excellent attention to detail are essential to this position.
- Title and salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
- Gladstone is an equal opportunity employer.