Research Associate I/II/III- Finkbeiner Lab
We are seeking highly motivated, curious, and creative Research Associates to join our discovery team that is focused on investigating the mechanisms of neurodegenerative diseases to identify novel therapeutic opportunities for frontotemporal dementia (FTD), Alzheimer’s disease (AD), amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), Parkinson’s disease (PD), Huntington’s disease (HD) and eye disorders, such as age-related macular degeneration (AMD). We are interested in the role that protein homeostasis and turnover plays in neurodegenerative disease, and a main research focus in the lab is on the autophagy-lysosome pathway (ALP). This position offers an opportunity to participate in cutting-edge research and use high throughput (HTS) and high content (HCS) image-based screening by robotic microscopy and machine learning in rodent primary neurons, human fibroblasts, and various neuronal cell types derived from human patient induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSC) to identify therapeutic targets. The candidate will join a dynamic multidisciplinary research team and we wish to find someone with a collaborative and pioneering work ethic and genuine enthusiasm and curiousity to learn. Many of our projects are carried out in collaboration with industry partners to develop new therapeutics based on the targets we identify.
- Maintain and differentiate human iPSCs to cortical neurons, microglia, astrocytes, retinal pigment epithelial cells (RPEs), and organoids, and carry out cell transfections, nucleofections, and cell-based assays.
- Isolate primary neurons, microglia, and astrocytes from mice and carry out cell transfections and cell-based assays.
- Carry out complex cell-based CRISPR or RNAi screens to identify novel therapeutic targets for FTD and other neurodegenerative diseases.
- Perform automated and manual cell-based imaging assays with novel biosensors for cell survival, autophagy, lysosome function, protein trafficking, and other cell-based functions.
- Perform standard assay techniques such as ELISA, western blotting, immunocytochemistry, and immunofluorescence and confocal microscopy and spectral imaging.
- Perform standard molecular biology techniques such as DNA preparation and restriction enzyme digestions, DNA cloning and plasmid construction, gel electrophoresis, and qPCR.
- Assist with in vivo mouse experiments to validate potential therapeutic candidates.
- Perform manual curation and statistical analysis of imaging data using basic computational skills (R-analysis, Galaxy pipeline workflow construction, Image J/Fiji) to generate high quality datasets for machine learning or publication.
- Exercise basic technical discretion to troubleshoot experiments
- Review data, prepare figures and reports, and communicate results to scientists and the general public in team and departmental meetings and conferences.
- Participate in collaborative work with multi-disciplinary teams
- Maintain and complete documentation of all experimental procedures in written and electronic lab notebooks.
- Perform other duties as requested, be a team player, and be a mindful and collaborative lab citizen.
- B.S. or M.S. in Biology, Biotechnology, or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 1-6 years of research experience including basic biology skills and excellent cell culture sterile technique
- Experience with cell and molecular biology techniques
- Experience with immunofluorescence, confocal microscopy, and/or computational neuroscience is a plus
- Willingness to learn new skills and take on complex new challenges beyond your comfort level with an enterprising “can-do”, creative, and open-minded attitude
- Ability to work independently and also collaboratively in a team-oriented setting
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication and presentation skills
- Good planning and organizing skills to meet deadlines
- Title and salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
- Be a part of big ideas and consider Gladstone. Your difference will make a difference in human health.
- Gladstone is an equal opportunity employer.