Responsible for environmental, health, and safety (EHS) programs and compliance for the Hayward and Brisbane sites (approximately 300 employees conducting research activities, utilities/support and administrative activities). Helps enforce EH&S programs and influences employees and site leadership to assure regulatory compliance, achieve continuous performance improvement, and integrate EH&S performance objectives into standard work processes. Works with Director to develop strategies to achieve these goals in alignment with site business goals and values.
- Oversees the Hazardous Waste Management Program and general compliance, as well as the Medical Waste Program and assist with the Radiation Waste Program.
- Identify and categorize hazardous wastes (chemical, biological and other) generated
- Performs weekly waste inspection and schedule pick up.
- Inspects and maintains safety equipment (Fire Extinguishers, Safety Showers/Eye Wash, Spill Clean Up Kits, etc.)
- Supports EH&S Specialist by assisting with audits, training and EHS programs.
- Serving on the Emergency Response Team requiring periodic 24 hour on-call availability
- Establish a positive rapport with staff, scientists, and management to ensure a high level of customer service and serve as a primary point of contact.
- Assist with implementing general elements of the EH&S Program, as defined by federal, state, and local agencies.
- Collaborates with EHS team, developing standard EHS systems and processes
- High School Diploma, an Associate Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- 2+ years of related experience, preferably in Biopharma company
- Experience in laboratory safety
- Proficiency with computer-based methods and skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work well with others in the areas of teamwork and communication
- Able to handle multiple priorities and perform effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Work productively with others at various technical and management levels.
- Enhance performance level through training as required.
- Maintain knowledge of federal, state and local regulations.
- Be able to wear different types of respiratory protection as needed.
- Ability to perform the physical demands of the role; standing, kneeling, ability to lift to 40 pounds, move, and pull 25 pounds etc.