Vice President of High Throughput Operations
Recursion is the clinical-stage biotechnology company industrializing drug discovery by decoding biology. Recursion leverages sophisticated machine-learning algorithms to distill from its dataset the Recursion Map, a collection of hundreds of billions of searchable inferences across biology and chemistry unconstrained by human bias.
Eight years ago, we were staining plates by hand. Today, we've created a library of more than one billion cellular images on the basis of a radically different approach to biotech. This is a bold approach that we believe will reinvent drug discovery and development.
If you draw a line from eight years ago to today, you’ll see our trajectory and understand that Recursion is a very different kind of company. You cannot make these kinds of leaps simply by adding incubators, fluorescent microscopes, and robots to automate processes at scale. Our drug discovery strategies are map and data-driven rather than target-driven, revealing destinations you might never have considered. And for them to succeed, they require an unconstrained thinker to oversee our high-throughput screening operation.
While we offer cutting-edge tools and an amazing lab, the secret sauce is our people. Everyday you’ll face a challenge you’ve literally never seen before. But you’ll be surrounded by humble experts who will happily drop everything to support you, get exposure to a wide range of ideas and approaches, and be asked to think beyond the obvious to solve those challenges. Our organization structure and culture isn't driven by politics or ego, it is designed first and foremost to help you do your best work.
You’ll be joining Recursion at an interesting time, both for the company and for the world. The global pandemic has reinforced in everyone’s mind not only the importance of therapeutics, but also the critical value that accelerating every phase of drug discovery and development can provide. For most, the notion that “patients can’t wait” is abstract; COVID-19 has made this concept all too real for millions, even billions, worldwide. As the Vice President of High Throughput Operations, you’ll be in a position to directly accelerate the timeline of getting drugs into the hands of patients who need them.
The Impact You’ll Make
You are a key value driver for Recursion as the leader of our high throughput operations across multiple -omics platforms. Specifically, you will have oversight of the compound management, cell culture, phenomics high throughput operations and multi-omics operations teams. In this role, you will
- Innovate in the areas of technology, automation and new scientific approaches to modeling complex biology, human disease and chemical drug development
- Deliver high quality biological and chemical data at an unprecedented scale
- Partner with other senior leaders across technology, science and accelerating functions to deliver on our company mission and strategy
- Inspirational leadership for teams delivering at the intersection of operational excellence and cutting edge science & technology
The Team You’ll Join
You will be a senior leader at Recursion, joining a high performing and mission-focused team while leading High Throughput Operations and reporting to the COO. This is a dynamic group of people who are tenacious in scientific problem solving and are rigorous in challenging the status quo. We love delivering against ambitious challenges and we do so in a collaborative environment. The team has achieved unprecedented scale in recent years and you will lead the organization to the next level of technical innovation and operational rigor.
The Experience You’ll Need
- Demonstrated ability to lead and influence as a senior leader in a fast paced, innovative organization. Prior experience as an executive in a biotechnology, healthcare or life science technology platform company is highly desirable
- A background in Biology, Chemistry, Engineering, or related field and >10 years of experience working across multiple relevant functions, including systems engineering, high throughput laboratory automation, process development, research core operations, research biology and/or drug discovery
- Proven experience running and scaling high throughput laboratory operations, direct experience in next-generation sequencing, phenomics high throughput screening, cell culture and/or compound management highly desirable
- Demonstrated ability to align on the tactics and strategies needed for successful operations, influence cross-functionally, and promote accountability in a positive and efficacious manner
- The ability to translate an innovative technology vision into operational reality
- Experience developing and implementing efficient and effective operational strategies
- Proven leader with experience recruiting and managing high-performing teams and a reputation for maximizing and growing talent
- Proven leader with experience influencing at an executive level and translating high level vision and strategy into action across a multi-discipline, multi-layer matrixed organization
- Excellent organizational, planning, and analytical skills
- Bachelor's degree in a scientific or engineering discipline, a graduate degree is desirable
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
Recursion requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their first date of employment.
More About Recursion
Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.