Counsel, Transactions (Licensing, Mergers & Acquisitions)
The Counsel, Transactions, will be an integral part of a team of attorneys advising AbbVie’s Business Development and Acquisitions and Ventures teams, along with other key corporate functions.
Among other responsibilities, the attorney will draft and negotiate key transaction agreements, including mergers, acquisitions, licenses and collaborations, options to license and acquire, and venture investment documentation, provide clear legal advice on these matters, and anticipate and address issues promptly with a cross-functional client base.
The Counsel, Transactions, will be responsible for identifying and resolving highly complex legal issues and drafting and negotiating highly complex corporate transactions. The attorney should:
- Have extensive experience with managing M&A and collaboration/joint-venture transactions; experience with pharmaceutical licensing and collaboration transactions and venture investments and/or equity transactions is strongly preferred.
- Keep abreast of changes in laws that affect pharmaceutical licensing, M&A, and ventures transactions, including antitrust/competition, and other corporate and IP matters.
- Be capable of regularly negotiating highly individualized and sophisticated agreements independently with third parties on matters of strategic importance that affect a substantial portion of AbbVie’s business or are areas of significant importance to management.
- Be capable of regularly engaging in due diligence and independently interpreting complex existing agreements and advising on complex situations that may arise related to transactions.
- Select and direct the work of outside counsel, including defining project objectives and managing projects.
- Maintain and assure compliance with applicable corporate and divisional policies and procedures.
- Analyze and clearly communicate legal advice designed to maximize outcomes for patients and for AbbVie on complex, strategic agreements related to pharmaceutical licenses and collaborations and other strategic alliances, and venture investments.
- Assess and counsel on antitrust and competition risks and considerations, and competition filings, with respect to transactions in multiple jurisdictions.
- Provide clear advice to clients, including management, ensuring that advice maximizes the potential of our pipeline.
- Use good judgment in determining whether and when to elevate issues to senior attorneys and senior management.
- Assist senior legal staff on matters of significant importance to AbbVie that affect a substantial portion of AbbVie's business.
- Serve as recognized source, for both management and other attorneys, of innovative ideas in complex areas of law, business, or technology.
- Provide legal guidance, supervision, and support to paralegals and legal support staff.