Senior Scientist I, Physical Chemistry
The Protein Crystallography Group at AbbVie headquarters in Lake County, Illinois is seeking a highly motivated scientist to join our Structure-Based Drug Discovery team. The ideal candidate should have extensive hands-on experience in modern X-ray Crystallography techniques and computational methods of molecular structure analysis. As part of multidisciplinary teams, the Scientist will utilize fragment-based strategies to identify ligands and provide insight to advance drug discovery targets through structure-based design. The successful candidate will contribute to drug discovery projects across the portfolio of AbbVie interests that also include therapeutic antibodies and novel biologics.
- Determine X-ray crystal structures of protein-ligand complexes in high throughput modes and identify strategies for improved molecular designs.
- Provide guidance to crystallization and protein construct design efforts for useful sample preparations
- Utilize cheminformatics tools and manipulate scripts for use across mixed computing platforms
- Interact with members of Fragment-based Drug Discovery team to advance hit to lead projects
- Work with biologists, molecular modelers, and medicinal chemists to validate targets of interest
- Maintain accurate and timely records of experimental results
- Communicate results and interpretative analysis to project teams, and present at internal meetings
- Publish in peer-reviewed journals as appropriate and present at external scientific meetings
- Evaluate the scientific literature critically and adopt novel technologies which will facilitate structure-based drug discovery at AbbVie