Senior Research Associate, Genome Modification
About the role
Sana Biotechnology is developing advanced delivery and genome engineering technologies to enable the next generation of cell and gene therapies. We are seeking a creative and highly-motivated Senior Research Associate to join our Genome Modification team. You will work on developing and testing Sana's novel in vivo gene-editing platform in vitro, and collaborate with colleagues on the process development and development sciences teams to test our platform in vivo. You will report to a Scientist/Sr. Scientist, Genome Modification. The environment is exciting and fast-paced and offers the opportunity to work and publish at the cutting edge of gene editing research.
What you’ll do
- Work collaboratively to generate and screen novel in vivo gene-editing therapeutics
- Mammalian cell culture, primary cell culture & transfections
- Assay development to support Sana's in vivo gene editing platform
- Quantify gene-editing via sequencing methods (Sanger/NGS) and functional assays such as flow cytometry, western blotting, qRT-PCR, microscopy
- Maintain a detailed electronic lab notebook & communicate data and plans at cross-functional team meetings
What we’re looking for
- Bachelors +4 years or Masters with 1-2 years or equivalent combination of education and laboratory work experience (industry or academia)
- Expertise in mammalian cell line and primary cell cultures and cell-based assays
- Experienced with a wide array of laboratory techniques and able to adjust and master new techniques as needed
- Excellent communication skills; able to effectively communicate and work with colleagues of diverse backgrounds
- Collaborative skills and proactive in seeking input in a complex, fast-paced environment
What will separate you from the crowd
- Expertise in the production of viral vectors including lentiviral vectors and AAV
- Experience extracting genomic DNA, designing primers, optimizing PCRs, Sanger sequencing, and next-generation sequencing (NGS)
- Familiarity with viral vector titration methods including functional titer readouts by flow cytometry or qPCR to measure transduction, and physical titers including ELISA to quantify the amount of viral proteins
- Experience developing western-blot assays
- Experience with high-throughput library testing of plasmid constructs
- Expertise in multicolor flow cytometry and FACS sorting
What you should know
- Carrying, handling and reaching for objects up to 25 lbs
- Prolonged standing and/or sitting
- Manual dexterity required to operate office and lab equipment
- Working safely in person on a predictable and regular in-person basis is an essential job function for this position, and the Company requires that all individuals working in-person be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including receipt of a vaccine booster shot if recommended by the CDC
How we work together
- Lead from every seat – we seek to understand, act with honesty, and engage in the crucial conversations
- Thrive as a team – we hire amazing people, are intensely curious, and cultivate inclusion and personal connectivity
- Make it happen – we value vigorous debate, alignment around our decisions, and resilient execution
Get to know us
At Sana, we believe that a diverse workforce strengthens us as a company and helps us to achieve our mission to meaningfully change the outcome of many human diseases. This belief is a pillar of our business and is critical to our success. Our goal is that Sana is the place for talented people to bring their authentic selves to work, to have a great career and to deeply, positively impact patients.
Core to our values, we believe there is nothing more important than the health and wellness of you and your family. For benefit eligible employees, we cover 100% of the cost for employee health coverage and offer generous time-off, parental leave, short- and long-term disability, employer paid basic life insurance, additional voluntary life insurance protection, financial wellness programs including financial planning resources, a 401(k) Plan with an immediately vested employer match, Tuition Reimbursement and Student Loan Repayment, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, commuter subsidy and a variety of wellness offerings to support each person individually.
We are committed to providing a workplace free of discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental or sensory disability (including the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability), genetic information, actual or perceived HIV or Hepatitis C infection, medical condition (cancer or a record or history of cancer and genetic characteristics), marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), disability, veteran status, political ideology, social class (including caste/caste identity), taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
To perform this job successfully, you must be able to perform each job responsibility satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions described above.