Staff Computational Biologist - Cancer Biology
Freenome is a high-growth biotech company on a mission since 2014 to create tools that empower everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease. To achieve this mission, Freenome is developing next-generation blood tests to detect cancer in its earliest, most treatable stages using our multiomics platform and machine learning techniques. Our first blood test will detect early-stage colorectal cancer and advanced adenomas.
As a Staff Computational Biologist focused on Cancer Biology at Freenome, you will be a key scientific leader in the development of early, noninvasive tests for cancer detection. As a senior member of the team, you will use a strong foundation of the biological mechanisms of cancer to motivate hypotheses, develop, and make improvements to computational algorithms detecting molecular signatures of cancer. You will work closely with and lead the work of machine learning scientists, molecular biologists, and other computational biologists on a collaborative team to drive the iteration of computational models and assays while ultimately developing products which can be used in the clinic.
How you’ll contribute:
- Lead the analysis and interpretation of molecular and clinical data in the context of early cancer detection, serving as a key thought-leader on the computational science team.
- Motivate research hypotheses and areas for potential model improvement, and subsequently plan, scope, and execute associated research with a talented team of computational biologists.
- Leverage, develop, and apply machine-learning and statistical tools for models development and interpretation .
- Remain at the forefront of research developments in cancer biology, including but not limited to early cancer detection and molecular signatures across various types and stages of cancer.
- Use foundational knowledge in cancer biology to analyze and interpret data from best in class molecular assays such as whole genome sequencing, whole genome bisulfite sequencing, targeted sequencing, RNA sequencing, and protein quantitation.
- Work closely with molecular biologists to collaboratively iterate on experiments in the wet lab.
What you’ll bring:
- PhD or equivalent experience in a relevant field such as biology, cancer biology, computational biology, computer science, and other quantitative fields.
- 5+ years post-PhD experience applying computational techniques for biological discovery and product development, ideally in industry.
- Experience in developing, applying, and evaluating statistical and/or machine learning algorithms.
- Extensive knowledge of cancer biology and molecular biology, with experience leveraging this knowledge for problems in cancer computational biology and diagnostics.
- Experience with computational and statistical programming, including experience with Python statistical and machine-learning packages. Equivalents in other languages like R are also suitable.
- Strong quantitative reasoning and statistical analysis skills, with a demonstrated ability to apply them effectively to relevant scientific problems.
- Experience in the analysis of high-throughput, quantitative technologies in genomics, epigenomics, proteomics, or transcriptomics (e.g. Hi-C, ATAC-seq, RNA-seq, MS).
- Expertise with biological and genomic data, tools, and associated public databases (e.g. ENCODE, TCGA, Blueprint, Cosmic).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to communicate to both scientific and broader audiences.
- Experience mentoring or managing junior scientists, with an ability to work on a cross-functional team (with both computational and experimental scientists).
As a condition of employment, you agree to know and comply with our COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all employees who work on-site and/or attend work-related events to be fully vaccinated and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible. Company employees working on-site are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law. Absent a reasonable accommodation or legal exception, you agree to provide proof of your vaccination status and to be fully vaccinated by your first day on-site, in accordance with our policy. If you are currently eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you also agree to provide proof of having received a booster. If you are not yet eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you must provide proof of receiving a booster within two weeks of becoming eligible.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
We have raised more than $1.1B from leading investors including Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital Management, Roche Venture Fund, Kaiser Permanente, Novartis and the American Cancer Society’s BrightEdge Ventures.
A ‘Freenomer’ is a mission-driven employee who is fueled by the opportunity to make a positive impact on patients' lives, who thrives in a culture of respect and cross collaboration, and whose work makes a significant impact on the company and their career.
Freenomers are technical, creative, visionary, grounded, empathetic and passionate. We build teams around divergent expertise, allowing us to solve problems and ascertain opportunities in unique ways. Freenomers are some of the most talented experts in their fields, joining together to advance healthcare, one breakthrough at a time.
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Competitive compensation
- Pre-IPO equity
- Flexible PTO (exempt) and generous PTO (non-exempt)
- Comprehensive health coverage, including medical, dental, and vision
- Wellness and mental health resources, including Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs), Paid maternity and paternity leave
- 401(k) plan
- $250.00 new hire stipend to enhance your home office experience
- Plus, a variety of other perks, including pre-tax commuter benefits, two paid volunteer days per year, pet insurance, and additional discounts
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
Notice to agencies:
Our in-house Talent Acquisition Team manages all employment opportunities at Freenome. Agencies and independent recruiters must be approved as a vendor by Freenome’s Talent Acquisition team before submitting candidates to any Freenome employee.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes or biographies from agencies under any circumstances. Any unsolicited resumes sent to Freenome, including those sent to a Freenome email address or directly to Freenome employees, will be considered Freenome property. Freenome will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. Freenome will consider any candidate for whom an Agency has submitted an unsolicited resume to have been referred by the Agency free of any charges or fees.
Please do not contact Freenome employees directly. Compliance with this request will impact our decision to work with you.