Senior Security Engineer - Infrastructure (Remote)
Freenome is a high growth biotech company on a mission since 2014 to create tools that empower everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease. To achieve this mission, Freenome is developing next-generation blood tests to detect cancer in its earliest, most treatable stages using our multiomics platform and machine learning techniques. Our first blood test will detect early-stage colorectal cancer and advanced adenomas.
Freenome is looking for an experienced Sr. Security Engineer within the Engineering Infrastructure team. This role will be responsible for strengthening Freenome’s cybersecurity, initially ensuring federal HIPAA compliance and executing on a roadmap of other security and compliance certifications. You will be implementing technical changes necessary to guarantee a secure computing environment and robust IT security operations. You will also bring expertise in continuous improvement practices so that Freenome will be able to operate seamlessly at the highly regulated intersection of the healthcare and life sciences industries. As an engineering-forward biotech company, we apply modern engineering practices to build reliable, maintainable, scalable, and secure production systems for our clinical lab, Computational and Molecular Research Scientists, and our Real-World Data and Biostatistics teams. Our infrastructure team is a small group where you will help set the culture and build the systems that allow us to move fast. This is an opportunity to do meaningful engineering work that will directly save lives.
- Rapid iteration and tight feedback loops
- Continual improvement rather than disruption
- Technical simplicity and elegance
- A focus on the larger goals
- Mutual respect and blameless postmortems
- A culture of diversity and inclusion
How you’ll contribute:
- Creating and overseeing the design, test, and implementation of secure network monitoring, IT security monitoring and operations, and application support across Freenome’s software architecture
- Performing comprehensive risk assessments with Freenome’s technical and Privacy / Compliance teams
- Documenting Freenome’s architecture (security controls, logging and monitoring , protocols, programs, etc) from network, cloud, and operational security perspectives
- Tracking, analyzing, and investigating security incidents in order to identify root causes and implementing forward-looking preventative measures
- Executing Freenome’s HIPAA technical compliance readiness through internal audits, system/gap analyses, and documentation with a goal of full compliance prior to future partnerships and FDA submissions
- Planning for significant growth, organizational complexity and scaling challenges as we transition from R&D to commercial laboratory operations
- Lending your expertise to design and code reviews, with a security mindset and focus
What you’ll bring:
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience
- B.S. or M.S. in computer science or a related technical field, or comparable experience
- Software design and development expertise, especially in Python and leveraging cloud-first product development and delivery
- Practical knowledge of Linux and cloud security operations, as well as network security
- Experience with enterprise security management and operations
- A systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with effective communication skills and a sense of ownership and drive
Nice to Haves:
- Practical experience with security-related compliance / regulatory standards (e.g., HIPAA, GDPR, NIST, PCI DSS, ISO 27001).
- One or more relevant industry certifications: Certified HIPAA Privacy Security Expert (CHPSE); Healthcare Information Security and Privacy Practitioner (HCISPP); Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- Security, encryption, and certificate management
- Networking, firewalls, load balancers, and HTTP internals
- Monitoring, alerting, logging, and tracing tools, such as Prometheus, fluentd, or Jaeger
- Google Cloud Platform experience
- Experience with software in a regulated environment
- Genomics or bioinformatics background
As a condition of employment, you agree to know and comply with our COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all employees who work on-site and/or attend work-related events to be fully vaccinated and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible. Company employees working on-site are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law. Absent a reasonable accommodation or legal exception, you agree to provide proof of your vaccination status and to be fully vaccinated by your first day on-site, in accordance with our policy. If you are currently eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you also agree to provide proof of having received a booster. If you are not yet eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you must provide proof of receiving a booster within two weeks of becoming eligible.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
We have raised more than $1.1B from leading investors including Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital Management, Roche Venture Fund, Kaiser Permanente, Novartis and the American Cancer Society’s BrightEdge Ventures.
A ‘Freenomer’ is a mission-driven employee who is fueled by the opportunity to make a positive impact on patients' lives, who thrives in a culture of respect and cross collaboration, and whose work makes a significant impact on the company and their career.
Freenomers are technical, creative, visionary, grounded, empathetic and passionate. We build teams around divergent expertise, allowing us to solve problems and ascertain opportunities in unique ways. Freenomers are some of the most talented experts in their fields, joining together to advance healthcare, one breakthrough at a time.
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Competitive compensation
- Pre-IPO equity
- Flexible PTO (exempt) and generous PTO (non-exempt)
- Comprehensive health coverage, including medical, dental, and vision
- Wellness and mental health resources, including Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs), Paid maternity and paternity leave
- 401(k) plan
- $250.00 new hire stipend to enhance your home office experience
- Plus, a variety of other perks, including pre-tax commuter benefits, two paid volunteer days per year, pet insurance, and additional discounts
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
Notice to agencies:
Our in-house Talent Acquisition Team manages all employment opportunities at Freenome. Agencies and independent recruiters must be approved as a vendor by Freenome’s Talent Acquisition team before submitting candidates to any Freenome employee.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes or biographies from agencies under any circumstances. Any unsolicited resumes sent to Freenome, including those sent to a Freenome email address or directly to Freenome employees, will be considered Freenome property. Freenome will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. Freenome will consider any candidate for whom an Agency has submitted an unsolicited resume to have been referred by the Agency free of any charges or fees.
Please do not contact Freenome employees directly. Compliance with this request will impact our decision to work with you.