Senior Software Engineer - Backend (Remote)
Freenome is a high-growth biotech company on a mission since 2014 to create tools that empower everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease.
To achieve this mission, Freenome is developing next-generation blood tests to detect cancer in its earliest, most treatable stages using our multiomics platform and machine learning techniques. Our first blood test will detect early-stage colorectal cancer and advanced adenomas.
Freenome is hiring a Senior Software Engineer - Backend to develop software to combat cancer and other age-related diseases. You will work as part of an interdisciplinary team of engineers and scientists building end-to-end solutions for our ML team and clinical and R&D labs.
As a member of a fast-growing team, you’ll take the lead on major projects and collaborate actively with our world-class team of engineers, scientists, designers, and product managers. You’ll build reliable, maintainable, scalable, and fault-tolerant backend services that enable the rapid growth of our business and our mission to save lives.
Depending on your skills and our needs you'll be working on projects including ML platform development, job scheduler development, EMR system integration, and data CRUD operations and ETL. Our systems are built using the latest web software development technologies and methodologies.
- Design, develop, and deploy reliable, maintainable, scalable, and fault-tolerant backend services that power both our internal and external systems
- Collaborate with team members for code and design review
- Work with scientists, designers, product managers, and other engineers to solve complex problems in the face of lots of dynamism and uncertainty
- Mentor junior engineers and grow our team’s technical expertise
- Take a mindful, transparent, and humane approach to your work and your interactions with others
- Lead and champion engineering hygiene and culture as a core part of the engineering backbone
Your background, perspective and experience:
- 5+ years of experience as a part of a software development team successfully shipping a software product
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, and/or work experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Prior experience with mentoring more junior coworkers
- Experience designing and implementing scalable backend systems
- The ability to thrive in an environment where collaboration, communication, and compromise are an expected part of your day-to-day work
- A mindful, transparent, and humane approach to your work and your interactions with others
Nice to haves:
- Experience with Python
- Experience with Django framework
- Experience in Kubernetes, Docker, PostgreSQL, AWS or Google Cloud Platform
- Previous experience leading teams or managing projects
- Understanding of, and practical experience with, statistical and machine learning methods
- Domain-specific experience in computational biology, genomics or a related field
- Direct experience with clinical interoperability standards such as FHIR, IHE ITI Profiles or HL7v2
As a condition of employment, you agree to know and comply with our COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all employees who work on-site and/or attend work-related events to be fully vaccinated and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible. Company employees working on-site are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law. Absent a reasonable accommodation or legal exception, you agree to provide proof of your vaccination status and to be fully vaccinated by your first day on-site, in accordance with our policy. If you are currently eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you also agree to provide proof of having received a booster. If you are not yet eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you must provide proof of receiving a booster within two weeks of becoming eligible.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
We have raised more than $1.1B from leading investors including Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital Management, Roche Venture Fund, Kaiser Permanente, Novartis and the American Cancer Society’s BrightEdge Ventures.
A ‘Freenomer’ is a mission-driven employee who is fueled by the opportunity to make a positive impact on patients' lives, who thrives in a culture of respect and cross collaboration, and whose work makes a significant impact on the company and their career.
Freenomers are technical, creative, visionary, grounded, empathetic and passionate. We build teams around divergent expertise, allowing us to solve problems and ascertain opportunities in unique ways. Freenomers are some of the most talented experts in their fields, joining together to advance healthcare, one breakthrough at a time.
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Competitive compensation
- Pre-IPO equity
- Flexible PTO (exempt) and generous PTO (non-exempt)
- Comprehensive health coverage, including medical, dental, and vision
- Wellness and mental health resources, including Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs), Paid maternity and paternity leave
- 401(k) plan
- $250.00 new hire stipend to enhance your home office experience
- Plus, a variety of other perks, including pre-tax commuter benefits, two paid volunteer days per year, pet insurance, and additional discounts
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
Notice to agencies:
Our in-house Talent Acquisition Team manages all employment opportunities at Freenome. Agencies and independent recruiters must be approved as a vendor by Freenome’s Talent Acquisition team before submitting candidates to any Freenome employee.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes or biographies from agencies under any circumstances. Any unsolicited resumes sent to Freenome, including those sent to a Freenome email address or directly to Freenome employees, will be considered Freenome property. Freenome will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. Freenome will consider any candidate for whom an Agency has submitted an unsolicited resume to have been referred by the Agency free of any charges or fees.
Please do not contact Freenome employees directly. Compliance with this request will impact our decision to work with you.