Senior / Research Associate - IVD Development
Freenome is a high growth biotech company on a mission since 2014 to create tools that empower everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease. To achieve this mission, Freenome is developing next-generation blood tests to detect cancer in its earliest, most treatable stages using our multiomics platform and machine learning techniques. Our first blood test will detect early-stage colorectal cancer and advanced adenomas.
About the Role
As a Senior Research Associate - IVD Development at Freenome, you will work to develop the assay technologies for our multiomic platform manually and on robotic platforms. Thereafter you will characterize, verify, and validate clinical products and performance aimed at early detection and intervention in human disease. You will work cross-functionally to execute studies, apply your knowledge of laboratory techniques and analytical methods, and transfer technologies into a regulated, high-throughput environment.
How you’ll contribute:
- Perform mission-critical experiments, while diligently applying current Good Laboratory and Documentation Practices (cGLP, cGDP), to help optimize and characterize the performance of Freenome’s assays.
- Gather high-quality data, take detailed notes, and openly communicate on lessons learned while performing experiments.
- Participate in experimental design, data analysis, and troubleshooting efforts
- Identify and implement process improvements across the lab by thinking critically about the execution of all experiments.
- Collaborate with engineers and clinical laboratory members to transition development protocols into clinical production, including automation, validation experiments, and SOP development.
What you’ll bring:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics, or a related field.
- 2+ years (4+ for Senior level) of laboratory experience in the life sciences preferable performing assay development in clinical diagnostics industry and/or start-up environment.
- Hands-on experience with running and developing automated molecular biology and biochemistry assays such as:
- Next-generation sequencing (NGS), including library preparation, working with the Illumina platform, and data analysis.
- Nucleic acids (DNA/RNA extraction, qPCR, ddPCR)
- Proteins (ELISAs, Western blotting).
- Proven track record of running successful experiments, preparing data for review, and giving effective scientific presentations.
- Ability to perform basic data analysis and to be critical of results obtained during experimentation. Python or R experience preferred.
- Understanding of the biology of human cell-free nucleic acids, particularly for application to cancer biology preferred
- Experience working in a regulated laboratory environment (CLIA, GLP/GCLP, IVD development) strongly desired.
- Clear communications skills and ability to work with team members in the same and adjacent disciplines.
As a condition of employment, you agree to know and comply with our COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all employees who work on-site and/or attend work-related events to be fully vaccinated and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible. Company employees working on-site are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law. Absent a reasonable accommodation or legal exception, you agree to provide proof of your vaccination status and to be fully vaccinated by your first day on-site, in accordance with our policy. If you are currently eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you also agree to provide proof of having received a booster. If you are not yet eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you must provide proof of receiving a booster within two weeks of becoming eligible.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
We have raised more than $1.1B from leading investors including Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital Management, Roche Venture Fund, Kaiser Permanente, Novartis and the American Cancer Society’s BrightEdge Ventures.
A ‘Freenomer’ is a mission-driven employee who is fueled by the opportunity to make a positive impact on patients' lives, who thrives in a culture of respect and cross collaboration, and whose work makes a significant impact on the company and their career.
Freenomers are technical, creative, visionary, grounded, empathetic and passionate. We build teams around divergent expertise, allowing us to solve problems and ascertain opportunities in unique ways. Freenomers are some of the most talented experts in their fields, joining together to advance healthcare, one breakthrough at a time.
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Competitive compensation
- Pre-IPO equity
- Flexible PTO (exempt) and generous PTO (non-exempt)
- Comprehensive health coverage, including medical, dental, and vision
- Wellness and mental health resources, including Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs), Paid maternity and paternity leave
- 401(k) plan
- $250.00 new hire stipend to enhance your home office experience
- Plus, a variety of other perks, including pre-tax commuter benefits, two paid volunteer days per year, pet insurance, and additional discounts
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
Notice to agencies:
Our in-house Talent Acquisition Team manages all employment opportunities at Freenome. Agencies and independent recruiters must be approved as a vendor by Freenome’s Talent Acquisition team before submitting candidates to any Freenome employee.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes or biographies from agencies under any circumstances. Any unsolicited resumes sent to Freenome, including those sent to a Freenome email address or directly to Freenome employees, will be considered Freenome property. Freenome will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. Freenome will consider any candidate for whom an Agency has submitted an unsolicited resume to have been referred by the Agency free of any charges or fees.
Please do not contact Freenome employees directly. Compliance with this request will impact our decision to work with you.