Freenome is a high growth biotech company on a mission since 2014 to create tools that empower everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease. To achieve this mission, Freenome is developing next-generation blood tests to detect cancer in its earliest, most treatable stages using our multiomics platform and machine learning techniques. Our first blood test will detect early-stage colorectal cancer and advanced adenomas.
In this newly created role on our legal team, the Patent Agent will partner with the Director, IP Strategy to organize and manage all IP disclosures, draft patent applications and assist with prosecution. You will also conduct diligence exercises for potential licensing targets and conduct patent landscape reviews. You will serve as a point of contact between internal teams and outside legal counsel supporting efforts to advance IP portfolio growth. While collaborating with outside counsel and internal groups, you will help identify innovations for protection by patents and foster a culture of IP and innovation at Freenome.
- Draft patent applications; analyze and respond to office actions
- Perform freedom-to-operate and patentability analyses
- Attend internal scientific meetings to monitor and capture innovation
- Collaborate closely with R&D to perform comprehensive searches of patent databases for invalidity, patentability, landscape, licensing, litigation risks, and freedom to operate
- Develop and maintain a broad understanding of the business, including Freenome’s research, products and product development, (licensed and/or acquired), and our existing IP portfolio
- Ensure detailed instructions are provided to researchers and inventors regarding legal requirements of a patentable invention. Assists in the construction of extensive invention disclosures.
- Perform extensive critical reviews of patents, patent applications, patent amendments, patent opinions, and other patent-related documents for technical accuracy and full protection of company inventions
- Assist the Director and business leaders on patent issues
- Research and make recommendations on new USPTO regulations or other changes related to patent prosecution
- Collaborate with outside patent attorneys and paralegals to draft and prosecute patent applications
Your background, perspective and experience:
- Doctorate in a life science discipline required
- USPTO registration in good standing
- At least five years of IP experience in biotech or IVD industry and/or law firm serving biotech or IVD clients with US and international prosecution
- Experience with NGS, genomics, proteomics technologies, and in-vitro diagnostics preferred
- Strong analytical and research skills, including experience with patent and non-patent literature databases
- Experience performing freedom-to-operate and patentability analyses
- Outstanding attention to detail combined with the ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate and communicate clearly across the organization
As a condition of employment, you agree to know and comply with our COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all employees who work on-site and/or attend work-related events to be fully vaccinated and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible. Company employees working on-site are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law. Absent a reasonable accommodation or legal exception, you agree to provide proof of your vaccination status and to be fully vaccinated by your first day on-site, in accordance with our policy. If you are currently eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you also agree to provide proof of having received a booster. If you are not yet eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you must provide proof of receiving a booster within two weeks of becoming eligible.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
We have raised more than $1.1B from leading investors including Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital Management, Roche Venture Fund, Kaiser Permanente, Novartis and the American Cancer Society’s BrightEdge Ventures.
A ‘Freenomer’ is a mission-driven employee who is fueled by the opportunity to make a positive impact on patients' lives, who thrives in a culture of respect and cross collaboration, and whose work makes a significant impact on the company and their career.
Freenomers are technical, creative, visionary, grounded, empathetic and passionate. We build teams around divergent expertise, allowing us to solve problems and ascertain opportunities in unique ways. Freenomers are some of the most talented experts in their fields, joining together to advance healthcare, one breakthrough at a time.
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Competitive compensation
- Pre-IPO equity
- Flexible PTO (exempt) and generous PTO (non-exempt)
- Comprehensive health coverage, including medical, dental, and vision
- Wellness and mental health resources, including Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs), Paid maternity and paternity leave
- 401(k) plan
- $250.00 new hire stipend to enhance your home office experience
- Plus, a variety of other perks, including pre-tax commuter benefits, two paid volunteer days per year, pet insurance, and additional discounts
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
Notice to agencies:
Our in-house Talent Acquisition Team manages all employment opportunities at Freenome. Agencies and independent recruiters must be approved as a vendor by Freenome’s Talent Acquisition team before submitting candidates to any Freenome employee.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes or biographies from agencies under any circumstances. Any unsolicited resumes sent to Freenome, including those sent to a Freenome email address or directly to Freenome employees, will be considered Freenome property. Freenome will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. Freenome will consider any candidate for whom an Agency has submitted an unsolicited resume to have been referred by the Agency free of any charges or fees.
Please do not contact Freenome employees directly. Compliance with this request will impact our decision to work with you.