Senior Real-World Data Engineer
Freenome is a high-growth biotech company on a mission since 2014 to create tools that empower everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease. To achieve this mission, Freenome is developing next-generation blood tests to detect cancer in its earliest, most treatable stages using our multiomics platform and machine learning techniques. Our first blood test will detect early-stage colorectal cancer and advanced adenomas.
Senior Real-World Data Engineer
The newly created Senior Real-world Data Engineer role will be an early and essential member of a cross-functional team tasked with executing Freenome’s RWD strategy.
In this role, you will execute the foundational production-quality codebase for the transformation of data in the research and regulatory-grade real-world data management pipeline. You will synthesize your healthcare data domain expertise, knowledge of standard ontologies, and data models with your coding prowess to turn electronic health records (EHR), claims, and other RWD sources into high-quality, high-fidelity datasets trusted and used by researchers across Freenome.
These efforts will contribute to the development and deployment of a portfolio of early cancer detection products — based on both clinical and multiomic data — that will enable payers, providers, and patients to catch cancers early when curative intervention is most achievable.
- Provide data engineering expertise to inform the design, buildout, and operations of data flow in our RWD management and curation pipeline
- Develop and maintain data ETL procedures and the codebase to prepare data for real-world evidence (RWE) studies and other product development and commercialization efforts
- Collaborate with our computational science and clinical teams to define data requirements, reconciling research needs with real-world data curation practices
- In collaboration with Technical Product Managers and Engineering, execute on RWD ingests and subsequent data preparation efforts, including data mapping, cleaning, and structuring, to create research-ready datasets
- Design data processing policies and procedures to guide manual and automated efforts, including:
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for unstructured and unstructured content curation and abstraction
- Data models and rules for transforming and deriving clinical data
- Own our library of RWD assets such that you are the internal expert everyone turns to with questions regarding our data
- Support data acquisition and data product implementation efforts with strategic partners
- In collaboration with team members and cross-functional users, fully support and execute on company policies and best practices for maintaining data integrity, security, and privacy.
Your background, perspective, and experience:
- Undergraduate or MS degree in medical informatics or related field
- At least four years of experience in health or clinical informatics, including
- Data, information, and knowledge modeling in the healthcare domain, preferably with some oncology data experience
- Proficient knowledge of ontologies commonly used by health systems and payers, including ICD-10, HCPCS, CPT, LOINC, RxNorm, NDC, ATC
- Expert level Python, proficiency in SQL, familiarity with JSON, working knowledge of BigQuery and the GCP
- Experience with FHIR, OMOP, HL7v2, and other healthcare data models and their mappings
- An entrepreneurial and solutions-oriented mentality, you are comfortable with ambiguity and are self-directed
- Outstanding problem-solving skills in a collaborative, ability to work in a collaborative team environment
As a condition of employment, you agree to know and comply with our COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all employees who work on-site and/or attend work-related events to be fully vaccinated and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible. Company employees working on-site are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law. Absent a reasonable accommodation or legal exception, you agree to provide proof of your vaccination status and to be fully vaccinated by your first day on-site, in accordance with our policy. If you are currently eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you also agree to provide proof of having received a booster. If you are not yet eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you must provide proof of receiving a booster within two weeks of becoming eligible.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
We have raised more than $1.1B from leading investors including Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital Management, Roche Venture Fund, Kaiser Permanente, Novartis and the American Cancer Society’s BrightEdge Ventures.
A ‘Freenomer’ is a mission-driven employee who is fueled by the opportunity to make a positive impact on patients' lives, who thrives in a culture of respect and cross collaboration, and whose work makes a significant impact on the company and their career.
Freenomers are technical, creative, visionary, grounded, empathetic and passionate. We build teams around divergent expertise, allowing us to solve problems and ascertain opportunities in unique ways. Freenomers are some of the most talented experts in their fields, joining together to advance healthcare, one breakthrough at a time.
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Competitive compensation
- Pre-IPO equity
- Flexible PTO (exempt) and generous PTO (non-exempt)
- Comprehensive health coverage, including medical, dental, and vision
- Wellness and mental health resources, including Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs), Paid maternity and paternity leave
- 401(k) plan
- $250.00 new hire stipend to enhance your home office experience
- Plus, a variety of other perks, including pre-tax commuter benefits, two paid volunteer days per year, pet insurance, and additional discounts
# # #
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
Notice to agencies:
Our in-house Talent Acquisition Team manages all employment opportunities at Freenome. Agencies and independent recruiters must be approved as a vendor by Freenome’s Talent Acquisition team before submitting candidates to any Freenome employee.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes or biographies from agencies under any circumstances. Any unsolicited resumes sent to Freenome, including those sent to a Freenome email address or directly to Freenome employees, will be considered Freenome property. Freenome will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. Freenome will consider any candidate for whom an Agency has submitted an unsolicited resume to have been referred by the Agency free of any charges or fees.
Please do not contact Freenome employees directly. Compliance with this request will impact our decision to work with you.
#LI-Remote, #LI-Onsite, #LI-Hybrid