RESEARCH ASSOCIATE / SENIOR RESEARCH ASSOCIATE
Precision medicine for pets with cancer
ImpriMed is integrating cutting-edge tools from oncology and data science to deliver personalized drug therapy for pets with cancer. We aim to support veterinarians treating pet cancer patients with precision medicine technology by informing them of the most effective anti-cancer drugs for each patient before the final treatment decisions are made. Our service is based on drug-cell interaction data generated by our proprietary high-throughput drug sensitivity assay, which uses a patient’s live cancer cells to measure the efficacy of FDA-approved drugs. Constructed from pet cancer patient data, the ImpriMed database and AI-based prediction models will also be a valuable resource for translational applications in human oncology.
We are seeking a highly motivated and skilled Research Associate / Senior Research Associate who can facilitate the company’s technology and science development. The ideal candidate has excellent communication and collaborative skills with experiences in molecular biology and mammalian cell culture. Candidate must be legally authorized to work in the US. This role is full-time and will be based in our headquarters, Palo Alto, California.
- Handle and process patients' clinical samples (blood and tissue biopsy) submitted to the company’s diagnostic laboratory, mainly including investigation of the cell phenotypes and collection of the genetic information.
- Independently conduct experiments using standard protocols in an efficient manner using best practices to prevent errors.
- Collect and analyze the data with a full understanding the purpose of each project.
- Support the development, optimization, and scaling up of new and existing methods and assays.
- Support the analysis of the experimental data and preparation of data into reports.
- Review literature on an ongoing basis to remain current with new procedures and apply learnings to related research.
- Contribute to publication of findings as needed. Participate in the preparation of written documents, including procedures, presentations, and proposals.
- Help with general lab maintenance as needed; maintain lab stock, manage chemical inventory and safety records, and provide general lab support as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in biological or biomedical sciences/engineering, or a related field
- 2+ years of related bench work experiences in academia or industry
- 1+ years mammalian cell culture/engineering in academia or industry
- Good data analytical skills
- Ability to organize effectively and multitask in a fast-paced environment
- Great communication skills (written and verbal) to develop strong work relationships with cross-functional teams
- Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes
- General computer skills including Microsoft Suite
- Passionate about working in a fun, fast-paced, and intellectually challenging environment
- Flexibility for a Monday through Friday or Tuesday through Saturday shifted work week
- Master’s degree in biological or biomedical sciences/engineering, or a related field
- 2+ years of molecular biology lab experience in academia or industry
- 2+ years mammalian cell culture/engineering in academia or industry
- 2+ years experience in high-throughput platforms using microwell plates
- Experience with handling primary cells derived from patients’ clinical samples
- Experience using laboratory automation and liquid handlers
- Experience in a next-generation sequencing workflow
- Proficiency in some of the following: DNA/RNA isolation, library prep, PCR, real-time PCR, and flow cytometry
- Great level of curiosity and a desire to learn more about biotechnology in the veterinary field
- Knowledge in cancer biology / data science / statistics