Lecturer (Doctoral Schedule) - Biology
Job Vacancy Notice
Job Title Lecturer (Doctoral Schedule) - Biology
Job ID 24131
Location LaGuardia Community College
Full/Part Time Full-Time
FACULTY VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Founded in 1971 in Long Island City, Queens, LaGuardia Community College is one of seven community colleges of the City University of New York/CUNY. In 2019, LaGuardia served over 30,000 students in pre-college, associate degree, and continuing education programs. Major areas of study include Health Sciences, STEM, Business and Technology, and Liberal Arts. Consistent with the diversity of Queens, 56 percent of LaGuardia students are born outside of the United States. More than half are first-generation college students. Sixty-nine percent live in Queens; the rest come from Brooklyn and beyond. Virtually all LaGuardia students are ethnic minorities (88 percent), 58 percent are women, and 31 percent are over the age of 25. Forty-eight percent of LaGuardia students are Hispanic, making the college a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI). Sixty-six percent of LaGuardia students receive financial aid. Slightly less than half attend part-time, often because they need to work to support their families. LaGuardia ranked fifth among U.S. community colleges in economic mobility – moving low-income students into the middle class and beyond – in a 2017 Stanford University study. For more information about LaGuardia please visit www.laguardia.edu.
LaGuardia Community College of the City University of New York (CUNY) invites applications for a full-time Lecturer (Doctoral Schedule) position in the Department of Natural Sciences with a starting date in September 2022.
To this end, the Natural Sciences Department at LaGuardia Community College seeks faculty who are eager to engage with the diversity of our student body and have a demonstrated commitment to inclusion and heterogeneity through teaching, research and/or service. Successful candidates will bring their unique creativity, sensitivity, insights, and perspectives to a community that welcomes innovation in scholarship and teaching.
The successful candidate will be part of a University and College wide cohort of faculty lecturers who engage actively with one another in pedagogical development toward achieving excellence in innovative and student-centered teaching. A commitment to teaching effectiveness and student engagement through advisement, regular office hours, and other service activities are required.
The Natural Sciences Department at LaGuardia Community College offers three undergraduate degree programs: Biology, Environmental Science, and Physical Science. The Department is home to 38 full-time faculty as well as 15 full time CLTs and expert staff who are committed to equip students with the knowledge and skills necessary to succeed in their professional careers.
The Department of Natural Sciences offers Biology Courses for both science- and non-science majors, Environmental Science courses, and Human and Vertebrate Anatomy and Physiology. We offer in-class and online lectures and labs. We are dedicated to training all students in scientific literacy, whether they enter a STEM field or not. We want our students to become engaged and active in society on all levels.
The successful candidate is expected to perform the following typical work duties:
- Actively engaged in pedagogical development toward achieving excellence in innovative and student-centered teaching;
- Work with faculty and the scientific community to continuously facilitate active learning in higher education by pedagogy and course design;
- Teach the annual workload of 24 hours. This amount is equivalent to four courses of 3 hours per week in each semester;
- Teach courses as in-person, online or hybrid class formats;
- Develop and implement assessment procedures, to continuously monitor the efficacy of our methods and learning outcomes;
- Provide support to program functions including tracking data, maintaining records, create and run reports, interpret data for quality control measures related to course/program offerings and assisting with data driven strategic planning by recommending improvements and communications;
- The Lecturer will be welcome to develop new courses in their area of expertise and participate at all levels in Departmental functions;
- Performs teaching, research and guidance duties in area(s) of expertise. Shares responsibility for committee and department assignments including administrative, supervisory and other functions;
- Availability to work evening and weekend hours.
Candidates will be required to provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment. Exemption (medical or religious) requests to this requirement will be considered in accordance with applicable law. Being fully vaccinated is defined for this purpose as being at least two weeks past their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen. Final candidates must be fully vaccinated as of their first day of employment.
Until further notice, this is a hybrid position, eligible to work remotely and work in the office.
PhD degree in Biology, Environmental Science, and related fields from an accredited institution required.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in teaching undergraduate Biology/Environmental Science courses.
- Ability to teach Anatomy and Physiology, Pathways and core program Biology courses in Biology/Environmental Science majors.
- Demonstrated effectiveness teaching in all three modalities of in-person, hybrid, and online.
- Evidence of understanding and/or participating in higher education outcomes assessment.
Commensurate with Experience and Credentials.
CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.
HOW TO APPLY
From our job posting system, select "Apply Now", create or log in to a user account, and provide the requested information. If you are viewing this posting from outside our system, access the employment page on our web site and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title.
Candidates should provide a CV/resume.
This position is open until filled. Review of resumes will begin May 13, 2022
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Faculty
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.