Associate Director, Environmental Health and Safety
At Lyell, our vision is to develop curative cell-based immunotherapies for solid tumor cancers. We have innovative science originating from our founder’s world class labs and a unique and disruptive approach to research and development. Our company is first and foremost focused on understanding the science. We are a learning organization, dependent on deep collaborative relationships between all of our colleagues, partners and founders. Our culture is based on Science, Respect, Collaboration and Courage and it reflects who we are and the environment we are creating.
The incumbent will provide leadership and direction for establishing Lyell’s corporate Environmental Health & Safety strategic vision, direction, and infrastructure. The position will be responsible for the design, development, implementation, and management of all environmental health & safety supporting Lyell’s strategic and tactical requirements, including leading a team of Environmental Health & Safety professionals. The position also has direct responsibility for Environmental Health & Safety at Lyell’s Bothell LyFE Manufacturing Center.
KEY ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Implement all aspects of the company’s Environmental Health & Safety programs and establish any manufacturing specific programs, including policies, procedures, and governance to ensure compliance with local, state, and federal regulations as well as industry standard practices and expectations.
- Maintain all Environmental Health & Safety related licenses, permits and inspection reports, including those related building and fire codes, wastewater discharge and environmental codes, and laboratory and manufacturing practices.
- Develop and implement safety training programs for employees.
- Support the development of the annual budget and manage to the budget/forecast.
- Provide review, consultation, and oversight of contractor safety programs.
- Develop and own the vision for the company-wide Environmental Health & Safety program and ensure the successful implementation of action plans within scope and budget.
- Manage the investigation, corrective actions, and reporting of incidents and accidents.
- Analyze, audit, and inspect workplace environments (e.g. office, warehouse, laboratory, and manufacturing) to identify compliance issues, potential health and safety risks, and continuous improvement opportunities.
- Be the primary point-of-contact for LyFE Manufacturing Center related environmental health and safety issues and emergencies, including on-call events.
- Develop and implement appropriate response plans for emergencies and disasters, then direct response and recovery operations for emergencies and disasters.
- Develop and present compliance tracking programs and metrics.
- Bachelor’s degree (BA/BS) or equivalent in Environmental Health & Safety Management, Engineering, Engineering Sciences, or related discipline.
- 10+ years related experience in direct Environmental Health & Safety management and systems development in global occupational health and environmental safety in a biopharmaceutical or cellular therapy company.
- Direct experience with laboratory and manufacturing practices in the biotechnology, life sciences, or health care industry.
- Proven experience in building and implementing Environmental Health & Safety infrastructure, programs, and policies.
- Experience managing staff and/or vendors remotely.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Expert level knowledge and application of Environmental Health & Safety regulations and familiarity with Environmental Health & Safety regulatory agencies’ protocols (e.g. OSHA, NIH, EPA, DEP, etc.).
- Expertise in chemical hygiene, industrial hygiene, biological safety, and ergonomic programs.
- Demonstrated ability to build, lead and motivate teams across multiple functions with the ability to coach and mentor team members and work closely with employees on their continued development.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate with site operations, functional leaders and external clients and vendors.
- Proven strength in contract negotiation with an understanding of legal, IP and regulatory requirements.
- Strong executive presence with the ability to lead executive discussions, focus on detail and think strategically.
- Proven ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment with an attention to detail and follow-through to completion.
- Resilient self-starter, who can act independently and learn quickly within a rapidly evolving environment.
- Demonstrated strategic thinker with creative and excellent problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communications skills, including effective platform presentation skills and training delivery skills.
At Lyell, we believe that highest performing teams include people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences who respectfully challenge each other. We are committed to building an open, diverse and inclusive culture for all employees.
Lyell is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status or any other characteristics protected under applicable federal, state and local laws.
The Company complies with all laws respecting equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate against applicants with regard to any protected characteristic as defined by federal, state, and local law. This position requires you to work onsite at the Company’s facilities and the Company requires that all employees working in its facilities be fully vaccinated (except as required by applicable law). Therefore, this position requires you to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19, subject to reasonable accommodations for medical or religious reasons, and/or as otherwise required by applicable law. The Company considers you fully vaccinated once 14 days have passed since you received either the second dose in a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine series or a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine. The vaccine must have been FDA approved, have emergency use authorization from the FDA, or, for persons fully vaccinated outside of the U.S., be listed for emergency use by the World Health Organization.”
We’ve learned from experience that some of the best people don’t always match our requirements perfectly - if you’re interested and think you could fit, please don’t hesitate to apply.