Vice President, Development
Freenome is a high-growth biotech company on a mission since 2014 to create tools that empower everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease.
To achieve this mission, Freenome is developing next-generation blood tests to detect cancer in its earliest, most treatable stages using our multiomics platform and machine learning techniques. Our first blood test will detect early-stage colorectal cancer and advanced adenomas.
About the Role
Reporting to the Chief Scientific Officer, Freenome’s Vice President of Development serves as a member of our Leadership Team and is responsible for defining and implementing the vision and development strategy for Freenome’s multiomics IVD platform. This highly strategic and multifaceted role will oversee the development activities currently including nucleic acid and protein based technologies responsible for designing, planning, and conducting development studies for clinical-grade assays to measure complex, blood-based analytes while working cross-functionally with the Research, Clinical, QC, and Engineering teams.
- Oversee all “wet lab” development and scientific operations work, which currently consists of two groups: Development and Scientific Operations consisting of. The current team consists of over 40 individuals and is projected to grow significantly over the next several months.
- Work as a key member of the R&D leadership team and will be responsible for optimizing and elevating the team’s efforts in assay and biomarker development, with a particular emphasis on taking blood tests for early detection of diseases through FDA approval and commercial launch
- Foster efficient cross-functional collaboration with the computational research group, as well as with the engineering, clinical, and regulatory teams.
- Adhere to and actively promote Freenome’s core values of empathy, trust, excellence, integrity, and servant leadership.
Your background, perspective and experience:
- Ph.D. in a relevant field, such as biochemistry, biology, or molecular biology. It is understood, however, that education, while an important index of achievement, will not constitute the primary variable in this decision process.
- Personal characteristics, common sense, work ethic, and demonstrated accomplishments will serve as key components in the evaluation of candidates.
- At a professional level, we are seeking a seasoned, respected, and credible scientific leader from the diagnostics space
- Innovation in diagnostic product development and a robust network and should have
- Demonstrated ability to leverage technological innovation to advance a diagnostic product from discovery to commercialization.
- Strong leadership and a compelling track record of building and retaining large, world-class teams and a proven mentor, coach, motivator, and manager.
- Presence and gravitas to credibly represent the company to external constituents, including KOLs, investors, regulators, and the diagnostics community.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively influence senior executives is critical, as is the capacity to develop, communicate, advocate for, and execute upon a scientific strategy.
- An outstanding work ethic coupled with an engaging disposition and strong entrepreneurial drive.
As a condition of employment, you agree to know and comply with our COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all employees who work on-site and/or attend work-related events to be fully vaccinated and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible. Company employees working on-site are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law. Absent a reasonable accommodation or legal exception, you agree to provide proof of your vaccination status and to be fully vaccinated by your first day on-site, in accordance with our policy. If you are currently eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you also agree to provide proof of having received a booster. If you are not yet eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you must provide proof of receiving a booster within two weeks of becoming eligible.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
We have raised more than $1.1B from leading investors including Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital Management, Roche Venture Fund, Kaiser Permanente, Novartis and the American Cancer Society’s BrightEdge Ventures.
A ‘Freenomer’ is a mission-driven employee who is fueled by the opportunity to make a positive impact on patients' lives, who thrives in a culture of respect and cross collaboration, and whose work makes a significant impact on the company and their career.
Freenomers are technical, creative, visionary, grounded, empathetic and passionate. We build teams around divergent expertise, allowing us to solve problems and ascertain opportunities in unique ways. Freenomers are some of the most talented experts in their fields, joining together to advance healthcare, one breakthrough at a time.
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Competitive compensation
- Pre-IPO equity
- Flexible PTO (exempt) and generous PTO (non-exempt)
- Comprehensive health coverage, including medical, dental, and vision
- Wellness and mental health resources, including Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs), Paid maternity and paternity leave
- 401(k) plan
- $250.00 new hire stipend to enhance your home office experience
- Plus, a variety of other perks, including pre-tax commuter benefits, two paid volunteer days per year, pet insurance, and additional discounts
# # #
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
Notice to agencies:
Our in-house Talent Acquisition Team manages all employment opportunities at Freenome. Agencies and independent recruiters must be approved as a vendor by Freenome’s Talent Acquisition team before submitting candidates to any Freenome employee.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes or biographies from agencies under any circumstances. Any unsolicited resumes sent to Freenome, including those sent to a Freenome email address or directly to Freenome employees, will be considered Freenome property. Freenome will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. Freenome will consider any candidate for whom an Agency has submitted an unsolicited resume to have been referred by the Agency free of any charges or fees.
Please do not contact Freenome employees directly. Compliance with this request will impact our decision to work with you.