Scientist/Sr. Scientist, Vector Production and Vector Producer Line Engineering
Shape Therapeutics is a biotechnology company developing next-generation RNA-targeted therapies to treat the world’s most challenging diseases. The ShapeTX technology platform includes RNAskip™, a proprietary suppressor tRNA technology that enables premature stop codon readthrough; RNAfixTM, a precision RNA editing technology using endogenous Adenosine Deaminase Acting on RNA (ADAR); and AAVidTM, a next-generation engineered adeno-associated virus (AAV) platform producing highly specific, tissue-tropic AAVs. The power of the ShapeTX platforms resides in redirecting the cellular machinery already present in our cells, thereby bypassing the risks of immunogenicity and DNA damage seen with other contemporary editing technologies.
At ShapeTX, we are a dynamic team of professionals who are dedicated and passionate about making cures a reality. Through diversity of thought, scientific knowledge, professional rigor and focus we are merging cutting-edge science with extensive drug development expertise to unlock cures to many debilitating diseases. Shape Therapeutics is headquartered in Seattle, Washington with a satellite site in Boston, Massachusetts.
ShapeTX is looking for a highly motivated individual with a strong passion for learning to join the growing Research team as Scientist, Senior Scientist, Vector Production, Vector Producer Line Engineering. In this role, the successful candidate will design and execute in vitro cell culture to express AAV to support the early research pipeline and ShapeTX’s novel RNAfixTM and RNAskipTM technology platforms. An ideal candidate will have broad cell culture, vector production experience, experience engineering producer cell lines and a collaborative spirit and a desire to work in a fast-paced startup environment.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Design and execute experiments to identify process or cell line engineering improvements to enhance vector production
- Conceptualize and develop cell culture and virus production protocols including transfection, transduction and cell culture harvest.
- Use molecular biology techniques to clone genes of interest and rapidly screen transfection protocols with various plasmids
- Design and utilize reporter-based and functional screening tools to select candidates
- Collaborate with technology development and delivery sciences teams to optimize delivery of recombinant vectors and proteins
- Generate stable recombinant cell lines suitable for scale-up of research grade reagents and vectors
- Transiently transfect cell lines to produce recombinant vectors and proteins
- Apply learnings from small scale cultures to scale up procedures and collaborations with later stage development groups
- Analyze and communicate results in written and oral presentations
- PhD in molecular/Cellular biology or other relevant scientific discipline
- BS/MS in molecular/cellular biology or other relevant scientific discipline +7/5 years of experience in an industry setting
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team-science environment
- Ability to think outside the box and tackle challenges with a problem-solving, can-do attitude
Skills and Experience:
- Experience overseeing cell line engineering and vector production from design to experimental application (production, transduction)
- Cell culture experience: culturing, maintaining and harvesting media and vector from different cell lines
- Experience with molecular biology techniques and analysis (DNA/RNA purification, cloning, Sanger sequencing, qPCR, ddPCR, etc.)
- Experience with protein analysis techniques (ELISA, Western blotting, etc.)
- Extensive experience optimizing transfection protocols for protein and viral vector (Lenti, AAV) production
- Mentorship and collaboration with peers and more junior employees
- Ability to troubleshoot and think analytically
- Stellar work ethic
- A collaborative, team player and good lab citizen
- Passion for benchwork
- Demonstrates initiative
- Exquisite attention to detail and organization
- Effective and proactive communication
- Ability to multitask and support multiple projects simultaneously
We aspire to Shape Life! not only through our science, but also through our commitment to foster an inclusive environment that supports diverse perspectives and experiences.