Scientist, Cell Therapy Drug Product Development
About the role
Sana Biotechnology has an exciting opportunity for a Scientist within the Cell Therapy Drug Product Development group. You will develop robust processes of formulation, fill and finish, and cryopreservation for allogeneic chimeric antigen receptor T (CAR T) cell products and report to the Director of Cryopreservation. You will maintain a focus on innovation and process improvements by drafting development plans and executing key experimental studies. You will also work with multiple teams including Process Development, Analytical Development, Supply Chain, and External Manufacturing to coordinate important deliverables.
What you'll do
- Establish cell therapy drug product development strategy for an allogeneic CAR T cell program
- Design and execute key experimental studies on formulation, fill/finish, and cryopreservation of candidate cell therapy product
- Evaluate new cryobiological technologies and implement process advancements for scaling-up and introduction into a GMP manufacturing environment
- Mentor and motivate a diverse group of engineers and research associates to complete experiments
- Draft technical documents including reports, process descriptions, SOPs, MBRs, and regulatory filing sections
- Engage in crucial conversations
What we're looking for
- PhD in Biological, Biomedical or Chemical Engineering, or related field with2+ years of experience in academic research and/or industry or a BA and/or MS in one of the above disciplines with 7+ years of experience and proven proficiency in independent research; Strong knowledge of required principals and concepts with understanding of context for application
- Expertise in adoptive cell therapy, cryobiology, and biophysics
- Extensive hands-on experience in formulation development and designing and scaling fill/finish and cryopreservation processes, such as aseptic filling, controlled-rate freezing, or vitrification
- Working knowledge of cell viability and functionality assays and experience analyzing flow cytometry data
- Collaborator with an agile mindset to excel in a team-oriented organization
- Experience working on a clinical or commercial cell therapy manufacturing process
- Expertise in physical chemistry, heat transfer, and thermodynamics
- Working knowledge of statistical design of experiments (DoE)
- Familiar with R or Python programming and AutoCAD or SolidWorks
- Demonstrate intense scientific curiosity
- Handle healthy donor human blood products
- Approximately 60% in-lab work
- Occasional weekend work
- Travel up to 15% of the time
- Working safely in person on a predictable and regular in-person basis is an essential job function for this position, and the Company requires that all individuals working in-person be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including receipt of a vaccine booster shot if recommended by the CDC
How we work together
- Lead from every seat – we seek to understand, act with honesty, and engage in the crucial conversations
- Thrive as a team – we hire amazing people, are intensely curious, and cultivate inclusion and personal connectivity
- Make it happen – we value vigorous debate, alignment around our decisions, and resilient execution
Get to know us
At Sana, we believe that a diverse workforce strengthens us as a company and helps us to achieve our mission to meaningfully change the outcome of many human diseases. This belief is a pillar of our business and is critical to our success. Our goal is that Sana is the place for talented people to bring their authentic selves to work, to have a great career and to deeply, positively impact patients.
Core to our values, we believe there is nothing more important than the health and wellness of you and your family. For benefit eligible employees, we cover 100% of the cost for employee health coverage and offer generous time-off, parental leave, short- and long-term disability, employer paid basic life insurance, additional voluntary life insurance protection, financial wellness programs including financial planning resources, a 401(k) Plan with an immediately vested employer match, Tuition Reimbursement and Student Loan Repayment, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, commuter subsidy and a variety of wellness offerings to support each person individually.
We are committed to providing a workplace free of discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental or sensory disability (including the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability), genetic information, actual or perceived HIV or Hepatitis C infection, medical condition (cancer or a record or history of cancer and genetic characteristics), marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), disability, veteran status, political ideology, social class (including caste/caste identity), taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
To perform this job successfully, you must be able to perform each job responsibility satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions described above.