Pulmonary Function Technician
We are currently searching for a Pulmonary Function Technician to provide technical services for pediatric, adult, and geriatric patients under the general direction of a physician within a unique clinical research environment at the NIH. This opportunity is full-time, and it is onsite in Bethesda, MD and/or remote work.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Review orders and verify pre-study administrative procedures.
- Set up diagnostic instruments and perform quality control measures on PFT testing and exercise systems to ensure the equipment functions safely and efficiently; troubleshoot issues as needed.
- Administer pulmonary function and exercise tests; collect arterial blood gases and exhaled nitric oxide, while ensuring patient safety and comfort during studies.
- Monitor physiological responses to testing and therapy; consult with a physician in the event of an adverse reaction and provide first aid as needed.
- Document pertinent clinical information in patient electronic medical records.
- Maintain necessary licensure and up-to-date knowledge regarding new policies and technologies to support the research and clinical mission.
- Demonstrate test procedures to trainees and other health care personnel as needed.
- Order and maintain necessary supplies for the laboratories.
- Other special projects on behalf of the DIR, as assigned.
- Provide responsive service to internal/external customers that support customer and program requirements.
- Participate with supervisor to establish individual performance plans and provides self-assessments if required.
- Identify and communicate individual developmental needs consistent with the agency mission; assists coworkers by mentoring, advising, or guiding them in understanding work assignments as appropriate.
- Actively identify, communicate, and implement quality improvements that ensure attainment of workforce goals.
- Completion of all training requirements related to Privacy Act, Personally Identifiable Information (PII), Protected Health Information (PHI), Privacy Impact Assessments (PIA), Information Systems Security Awareness, and similar training obligations related to the access, use, and dissemination of work-related information in a timely manner.
- Compliance with all aspects of the Privacy Act and other relevant authorities when accepting, managing, using, and/or disseminating official or other sensitive information.
- Adherence to laws, rules, regulations, and policies, with respect to maintaining the confidentiality, data management, and safeguarding requirements related to Privacy Act, official, non-public and personally identifiable information.
- Perform pulmonary function tests, cardiopulmonary exercise tests (CPET), 6-minute walk tests, impulse oscillometry tests (IOS), methacholine challenge testing, and exhaled nitric oxide measurements.
- Assist lead contact for pulmonary function laboratory in troubleshooting issues, interacting with equipment technical support, and performing quality assurance (QA).
- Analyze data to ensure that measurements are within acceptable limits.
- Actively and dependably promote a culture of quality patient care and safety and ensure direct or indirect clinical services of any form are regularly delivered in a safe, effective, and patient-centered manner.
- Assist in developing standard operating procedures for pulmonary function laboratory for the following tests: CPET, methacholine challenge testing, exhaled nitric oxide, and pulmonary function testing by IOS.
- Assist in developing and executing a comprehensive QA database.
- Significant knowledge of pulmonary physiology, and PFT testing experience and/or a graduate of an accredited respiratory care program: either the Commission on the Accreditation of Respiratory Care (COARC) or the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) with at least 2 years of applicable experience.
- Must maintain a valid  BLS provider card, and  either an ACLS or PALS card.
- Demonstrated clinical skills related to PFT testing and dealing with adult and pediatric patients; participation in QA testing, and data collection and equipment troubleshooting and maintenance.
- Ability to work with adult and pediatric patients with respiratory illnesses and infections and interact with their families.
Dovel Technologies and its Family of Companies (Medical Science & Computing and Ace Info Solutions) was acquired in October 2021.
Guidehouse is a leading global provider of consulting services to the public sector and commercial markets, with broad capabilities in management, technology, and risk consulting. By combining our public and private sector expertise, we help clients address their most complex challenges and navigate significant regulatory pressures focusing on transformational change, business resiliency, and technology-driven innovation. Across a range of advisory, consulting, outsourcing, and digital services, we create scalable, innovative solutions that help our clients outwit complexity and position them for future growth and success. The company has more than 12,000 professionals in over 50 locations globally. Guidehouse is a Veritas Capital portfolio company, led by seasoned professionals with proven and diverse expertise in traditional and emerging technologies, markets, and agenda-setting issues driving national and global economies.
Guidehouse is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, age, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
Guidehouse will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law or ordinance, including the Fair Chance Ordinance of Los Angeles and San Francisco.
If you have visited our website for information about employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require accommodation, please contact Guidehouse Recruiting at 1-571-633-1711 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@guidehouse.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodation.
Guidehouse does not accept unsolicited resumes through or from search firms or staffing agencies. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of Guidehouse, and Guidehouse will not be obligated to pay a placement fee.