Senior Software Engineer
If you made a list of all the things your perfect job would have, what would be on it? Would it include a mission that truly justified the word “mission?” Would it involve being part of one of the best scientific research and production labs in the world creating petabytes of insight-rich data? Would it be a place filled with smart people all trying to help you do the best work of your career? Would it have leadership that could see an almost science fiction-like future and was looking to you to get there?
Recursion is the clinical-stage biotechnology company industrializing drug discovery by decoding biology. Recursion leverages sophisticated machine-learning algorithms to distill from its dataset the Recursion Map, a collection of hundreds of billions of searchable inferences across biology and chemistry unconstrained by human bias.
Recursion has been purpose-built to do things that have quite literally never been done before. And while we have resources and an amazing lab, the secret sauce is our people. They are the ones who make big bets and deal in orders of magnitude instead of thinking incrementally, and the result is clear: Eight years ago, we were doing plate manufacturing by hand. Today, we are able to process and scan more than a million experiments every week.
A given day at work has a wide standard of deviation. Every week, you’ll work hand-in-glove with our data and science teams, turning 1.8 million+ weekly automated experiments into a map of human biology.
It is an audacious goal, but it isn’t a dream or science fiction. We’re already doing it.
The Impact You’ll Make
- Build a platform for compound validation and biomarkers discovery. You'll work cross functionally with biologists, data scientists to create a self-service, automated and scalable data acquisition and management system which will support the extraction of pre-clinical insights.
- Take ownership of a large chunk of a codebase spanning general data logistics to high-performance computations to internal microservices with APIs and UIs. You will develop, maintain, refactor and improve the existing on-prem, cloud-based processes and add new features to better serve the data processing needs of biologists, data scientists, lab personnel. Demand for responsive services and high data volumes is constantly increasing, and you will improve the functionality, stability and self-healing features of our In-vivo platform.
- Help connect our biomarkers discovery platform with other systems across Recursion and third-party platforms. Recursion ecosystem is constantly evolving, and you will be in charge of connecting on-prem embedded systems with cloud systems to reliably process, store and make easy access to data to promote information sharing and reduce data flow frictions between components. You will need to ensure the reliability and high availability of the cloud processing and lifecycle management of data generated by thousands of devices operating on a 24/7 basis. You will be in close contact with infrastructure engineers, data scientists, field engineers and lab personnel to provide and acquire feedback in the effort to deliver discovery platform improvements.
- Act as a mentor, coach, and sponsor. You will share your technical knowledge and experiences, resulting in an increase in learning, growth, and impact within and beyond the team.
The Team You'll Join
You will join the InVivomics team at Recursion, a group of nine great people consisting of data scientists, full-stack and systems engineers, DevOps and field engineers. We are focused on helping Recursion decode biology by building a compound validation and biomarkers discovery platform. You'll work with your teammates and across departments to agree on the most critical challenges and capabilities, then figure out how to get us there. You'll move through a stack of software spanning Linux, Python, third-party code, docker, Kubernetes, Kafka, Kairos, microservices with HTTP API and UI. You will frequently Interact with Python libraries from cloud services provided such as AWS and GCP. You will look for and give feedback to make trade-offs as you get to the right solution with the right amount of effort.
The Experience You'll Need
- You will need a solid understanding of computer science fundamentals with 7+ years of professional software development.
- Experience collaborating to complete large projects and maintain large systems.
- Learn tools from the nooks and crannies of software engineering, for example, knowledge of the Linux operating system, robust networking and interprocess communications skills, and measuring and supporting the systems we build. Orchestration of large distributed systems.
- Adapt your workflow to include or improve your skills in writing tests for your code, logging, metrics collection, and monitoring.
- Excitement to learn parts of our tech stack that you might not already know. Our current tech stack uses Debian, Ubuntu , Python, Kairos, Docker, We use libraries such as numpy, numba, requests, tornado (and many others), plus boto3 connecting us to on-cloud services provided by Amazon's AWS platform and libraries provided by google to access Google’s GCP services.
- A biology background is not necessary, but intellectual curiosity is a must!
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
Recursion requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their first date of employment.
More About Recursion
Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.