Senior Scientist, Assay Development
Recursion is the clinical-stage biotechnology company industrializing drug discovery by decoding biology. Recursion leverages sophisticated machine-learning algorithms to distill from its dataset the Recursion Map, a collection of hundreds of billions of searchable inferences across biology and chemistry unconstrained by human bias.
If you look at Recursion's trajectory, you'll understand that this is a very different kind of company. It isn't possible to make these kinds of paradigm-shifting leaps simply by adding incubators, fluorescent microscopes, and robots to automate processes at scale. Our drug discovery strategies are map and data-driven rather than target-driven, revealing destinations you might never have considered. And for them to succeed, they require an unconstrained thinker to oversee our high-throughput screening operation.
While we offer cutting-edge tools and an amazing lab, the secret sauce is our people. The work will present challenges the industry has never solved before, but you’ll be surrounded by humble experts who will happily drop everything to support you, offer exposure to a wide range of ideas and approaches, and be asked to think beyond the obvious to solve those challenges. Our organization structure and culture isn't driven by politics or ego, it is designed first and foremost to help you do your best work.
Recursion has been purpose-built to do things that have quite literally never been done before, making your work feel more like a “calling” than any other job you’ve ever had before.
The Impact You’ll Make
- Enable Recursion to decode Biology, by developing high quality assays to scale and validate new high-throughput workflows.
- Design, implement, and scale robust workflows to run complex biological assays in challenging human cells using cutting edge technology and automation.
- Analyze experimental data to validate new biological assays/processes and troubleshoot existing systems - disseminate findings and coordinate direction with a cross-disciplinary team.
- Train our HTS Operations team to execute High Throughput Screening (HTS) campaigns at an unprecedented scale.
- Utilize Recursion’s deep learning capabilities in conjunction with in-house high dimensional data, help identify and fail molecules with liabilities early-on in the drug discovery life cycle, and help direct focus on the potential therapeutics (small molecules) which have the highest chance of success in the clinic.
The Team You’ll Join
You’ll join the HTS Assay Development team within Recursion’s Core Operations Department. This team works closely with the Systems Biology group to develop and scale assays that enable Recursion to expand its growing Map of Biology; to do this you will work at the bench and also work closely with assay development associates, data scientists, software engineers, automation engineers, and our supply chain team, among others. This team’s key output are robust assays for deployment on our high throughput screening platform, that integrates industry-leading automation to generate petabytes of high-dimensional data from human cells.
The Experience You’ll Need
- PhD in Biology, Biotechnology or related field with 2+ years of relevant work experience, or MS with 4+ years of relevant work experience.
- To be an individual contributor (bench scientist) with a passion for working in a fast-paced environment where you’ll leverage creativity and independent thinking to develop high throughput assays of biological relevance.
- Extensive experience developing, implementing, and scaling-up in-vitro models (cellular and/or biochemical) of biological relevance (preferably fibrosis).
- Demonstrated ability to comfortably work with primary cells, blood derived macrophages, fibroblasts or similar to develop and miniaturize assays to screen millions of compounds.
- Experience executing and analyzing a diversity of assay readouts in complex cellular assays.
- Experience using automation software packages like Cellario (or similar) and ability to perform data analysis of experimental findings.
- Demonstrated capacity to independently manage and coordinate scientific projects. Ability to lead projects, mentor others, and collaborate with cross-functional teams.
- Experience working with automated computer-controlled laboratory instrumentation and SBS standard microplates is strongly preferred (We Deliver).
- Familiarity with handling automated liquid handlers, high-content microscopes, robotic workcells and/or similar automated lab instrumentation to perform assays in miniaturized plates.
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
Recursion requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their first date of employment.
More About Recursion
Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.