Research Technician, In Vivo
Recursion is the clinical-stage biotechnology company industrializing drug discovery by decoding biology. Recursion leverages sophisticated machine-learning algorithms to infer biological relationships. By commanding massive experimental scale — up to millions of wet lab experiments weekly — and massive computational scale — owning and operating one of the most powerful supercomputers in the world, Recursion is uniting technology, biology and chemistry to advance the future of medicine.
Eight years ago, we were staining plates by hand. Today, we've created a library of more than one billion cellular images on the basis of a radically different approach to biotech. This is a bold approach that we believe will reinvent drug discovery and development.
Draw a line from eight years ago to today and you’ll understand that Recursion is a very different kind of company. You cannot make these kinds of leaps just by adding incubators, fluorescent microscopes, and robots to automate processes at scale. Our drug discovery strategies are map and data-driven rather than target and exec-driven, revealing destinations you might never have considered.
While we offer cutting-edge tools and an amazing lab, the secret sauce is our people. Our organization structure and culture isn't driven by politics or ego, it is designed first and foremost to help you do your best work. We live and work by values that we see as the strategic differentiators that give us a competitive advantage, supporting better and faster work without burnout and encouraging us to make leaps where others take steps. This is a place where people in every role and every level make the bold bets that create large leaps forward on a regular basis.
You’ll be joining Recursion at an interesting time, both for the company and for the world. The global pandemic has reinforced in everyone’s mind not only the importance of therapeutics, but also the critical value that accelerating every phase of drug discovery and development can provide. For most, the notion that “patients can’t wait” is abstract; COVID-19 has made this concept all too real for millions, even billions, worldwide.
Recursion has been purpose-built to do things that have quite literally never been done before, making your work feel more like a “calling” than any other job you’ve ever had before.
The Impact You’ll Make
Recursion Pharmaceuticals is at the forefront of re-imaging drug discovery through the integration of automated cell biology, high-dimensional and diverse data sets, and sophisticated analytics. We are seeking a Research Technician who will assist with the execution of in vivo experiments, assist managing the Breeding Colonies, and troubleshoot study activities. As a Research Technician, you will
- Opportunity to boldly help our team redefine preclinical drug discovery and radically improve people’s lives!
- Contribute in creating the foundation necessary for expanding our drug discovery capabilities through accountable teamwork and balancing of responsibilities
- Perform research meaningful for drug discovery that gives patients need a better quality of life and work in a positive matrix-like environment where your ideas and thoughts matter, are necessary, and expected for better science, animal welfare and work environment
The Team You’ll Join
Reporting to the Research Associate Manager, you will join a truly cross-functional team in an environment that requires collaboration and communication across multiple departments. Communication is especially important to the success of our team as much of our reporting is done electronically. We value independent thought and self-reflection with the goal of incremental self and team improvement. If you have ideas or suggestions for improvement, we want to hear your voice.
The Experience You’ll Need
- 1+ years of actively participating in the directional execution of in vivo studies in collaboration with investigators.
- Proficient in the following in vivo procedures:
- Dosing administration ( IP, SC, PO)
- Body weight measurements
- Clinical observations
- Blood collection through various routes (tail, submandibular, submental, etc.)
- Experience in collection of detailed experimental and animal health records using data collection software such as Microsoft Excel/Google Sheets, Pristima/Provantis/StudyLog,Softmouse, etc.
- Experience in animal husbandry, including daily health checks, feeding and watering of animals and cage changes
- Experience breeding colonies tasks such (ie: tissue collection for genotype, mating, weaning, etc)
- Good Documentation Practices in a non-GLP or GLP environment is preferred
Hear from a Product Manager in Milpitas
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
Recursion requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their first date of employment.
More About Recursion
Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.