Manager, US Contracts and Payments
Amgen is hiring for a Manager role in the US region to be a vital part of the creation of a U.S Center of Excellence (COE) designed to support contracting and payments between Amgen and members of the U.S. Healthcare Community and will be established in the Research & Development (R&D) Business Operations team within R&D Strategy and Operations. The team will support multiple functional areas, including Research and Development, US Global Affairs, US Sales and Marketing, Congresses & Interactions and Compliance.
This position is primarily responsible for the review of proposed arrangements by Amgen staff for contracting with Members of the U.S. Healthcare Community. He/she will participate in team meetings, ensure correct collection and reporting of key performance indicators, design metrics, manage escalations, and provide forecasting to ensure our ability to support the organizations. The Manager will assist in developing & executing management strategies while finding opportunities to align, improve and re-design processes and tools. In addition, they will participate in strategic initiatives to improve operational efficiency and enable the organizational vision to be achieved. This role will also be required to engage with cross-functional partners in Amgen, such as Law and Compliance. This role will report into Senior Manager, US COE/R&D Business Operations.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors degree required
- 3-5 years of experience in a pharmaceutical/biotech or healthcare environment preferred
- Direct experience working with healthcare providers and key opinion leaders
- Managerial experience directly managing people and/or leadership experience leading teams, projects, programs or directing the allocation of resources
- Ability to effectively communicate business risks to internal stakeholders and escalate as appropriate
- Extensive document drafting experience (preferably in a fast-paced environment, e.g. consulting firms, biotech, tech companies, etc.)
- Extensive knowledge of the basic types of healthcare compliance agreement structures and the function and purpose of key legal terms (i.e., indemnification, limitation of liability, warranties, intellectual property, data rights, confidentiality etc.)
- Ability to prioritize competing interests and projects and manage a high volume of contract document requests
- Strong external customer service background
- Strong data analytics skills with experience in analytics software, (eg. Spotfire, Tableau, Smartsheet) as well as experience with document management applications (eg. Veeva), and portfolio planning tools and financial systems (eg. Planisware, SAP, MS Projects)
- Excellent/Advanced computer and M/S Office skills
- Excellent writing skills; detail-oriented
- Ability to process highly complex transactions from end to end, engaging business partners where appropriate.
- High attention to detail/reporting accuracy, balances strong detail orientation with the ability to conceptualize problems
- Ability to organize facts, data and other information and collaborate with internal stakeholders to develop effective solutions
- Maintaining oversight of contracts and payments team providing support to Amgen staff.
- Identify and escalate business issues needing resolution, as well as identifying potential process improvements and manage multiple assignments at one time.
- Determines actions required to resolve problems or issues and coordinates with other departments as needed to ensure resolution in a timely manner
- Interact with business partners to ensure compliance processes and standards are understood and followed.
- Communicate and escalate contractual and/or payment challenges to leadership team.
- Exercises good judgment
- Works independently with strong ability to develop prioritization and completion timeframes for multiple projects and make decisions with minimal direction
- Self-motivated. Identifies, recommends and manages projects that support the needs of the business
- Operates effectively in ambiguous situations
- Professional approach that inspires confidence
- Ability to develop processes and new ways of working to generate contracts
- Maintain key relationships by communicating and collaborating with cross-functional partners such as Law, Regulatory and other Worldwide Compliance and Business Ethics groups, and the International Healthcare Compliance group.
- Review proposed arrangements via Amgens healthcare compliance operations system of record (C3).
- Support Amgen staff members with any related questions and/or concerns such as C3 system support
- Draft contracts, contract amendments, and resolve any issues relating to contract negotiation or management to drive to contract execution.
- Conducts business with honesty, integrity and in a manner that protects Amgens public image and reputation
- Ability to interact with all levels of the organization internally, as well as stakeholders external to Amgen with the highest level of customer service
- Ensures compliance with external regulations arising from Amgen educational fellowship grants, sponsorship, and fee for service engagements
- Interacts and effectively communicates with healthcare providers and key opinion leaders
- Safeguards consistency across above areas for domestic and international parties using continued learning of procedural improvements and established SOPs
- Excellent project management skills and capacity to manage multiple, simultaneous items to completion against challenging timelines
- Ability to read and interpret legal documents, financial reports and technical documents.
- Proofread, edit and fact-check legal documents for accuracy and consistency.
- Time management and problem-solving skills.
- Other duties as assigned.
Join UsIf you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.Amgen requires all staff in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada to be vaccinated from COVID 19 as a condition of employment. In accordance with applicable law, Amgen will provide reasonable accommodations to staff members who qualify on the basis of a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance. Such accommodation may not pose an undue hardship to Amgen, its operations, or its staff.