Vice President, Corporate Legal
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead's therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammatory diseases.
Our portfolio of more than 25 products includes complete treatment regimens for HIV and chronic hepatitis C infection available in once-daily single pills and the first CAR T therapy approved for the treatment of adult patients with relapsed or refractory large B-cell lymphoma after two or more lines of systemic therapy.
Since its founding in Foster City, California, in 1987, Gilead has become a leading biopharmaceutical company with a rapidly expanding product portfolio, a growing pipeline of investigational drugs and 12,000+ employees in offices across six continents. Millions of people around the world are living healthier lives because of innovative therapies developed by Gilead.
Today, our innovative approach to external partnerships, and our internal research and development effort includes hundreds of ongoing and planned clinical studies evaluating compounds with the potential to become the next generation of effective medicines.
Vice President, Corporate Legal
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is seeking a Vice President for our Corporate Legal team, reporting to the Senior Vice President of Legal. This attorney will be the principal legal partner for Gilead's corporate governance program, providing legal support for the Board of Directors, annual and periodic engagement with stockholders, preparing and advising on securities filings and unique disclosure matters, supporting earnings calls, and preparing debt financings. This attorney will serve as the principal legal partner for Gilead's corporate development team and participate in shaping and implementing strategy and activities related to identifying, evaluating, and negotiating strategic collaborations and M&A. This attorney will also supervise a team of attorneys and legal services professionals who negotiate and draft a high volume of contracts across all functional groups (research, clinical, commercial, operations and G&A) to support product development, commercialization, and day-to-day operations.
The Vice President, Corporate Legal will be a member of the senior-most Leadership Teams for the Legal organization. They will partner with other members of the Legal department to support cross-functional projects and support activities designed to improve departmental processes and important strategic initiatives for our mission of providing outstanding service and being a great place to work for our legal professionals.
- Manage and support the company's corporate governance program. This includes supporting the Board of Directors and engaging with stockholders on governance and ESG-related matters. Also includes support for annual stockholder meetings, including preparing agendas, scripts, presentations, and minutes.
- Manage securities law function, including preparing, reviewing, and filing registration statements, proxy statements, periodic and current reports, and Section 16 filings; ensuring compliance with SEC rules and regulations; working closely with and providing legal advice to Gilead's Corporate Finance, Treasury, and Investor Relations teams; and managing program to prevent insider trading.
- Collaborate with Gilead's Corporate Finance and Treasury teams on capital markets transactions and provide legal advice and guidance concerning compliance with credit facilities and debt instruments.
- Partner with General Counsel and CFO on shareholder and investor relations matters, including Regulation FD compliance, earnings call materials, and providing strategic legal advice and guidance to senior management and the Board.
- Supervise team responsible for structuring, drafting, and negotiating term sheets for numerous actual and potential M&A, partnering, and other strategic transactions.
- Counsel clients in business development and other areas of the company on the legal implications of transaction initiatives and strategies, with a focus on inbound and outbound licensing and collaboration agreements, strategic alliances, and mergers and acquisitions.
- Support alliance management in managing collaborations and integration efforts, including maintenance, amendment, and performance of agreements.
- Supervise a team of over 40 attorneys and legal services professionals who structure, draft, and negotiate a variety of high-volume contracts across all functional groups, including research, clinical, commercial, operations, IT, and others.
- Advise client groups on contract interpretation and assist in resolving contractual disputes.
- Manage and direct outside law firms, including managing budgets.
- Serve as an internal and external thought leader on substantive areas of corporate law and stockholder governance, including ESG.
- Support the Legal department's inclusion and diversity efforts.
- The successful candidate must demonstrate Gilead's Leadership Commitments and core values: Teamwork, Accountability, Inclusion, Excellence, and Integrity.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently with others is critical, including strong interpersonal and communication skills. Must be comfortable and skilled at working with a variety of different personalities and levels within the company stakeholders.
- Skilled at leading project teams and organizing resources to achieve team goals. Able to make and prioritize process and resource decisions based on overall team needs.
- 14+ years of relevant corporate legal experience. Bachelor's degree or higher in biology, chemistry, pharmacy, immunology, or other related life-sciences discipline is strongly preferred.
- Significant experience managing corporate governance and disclosure issues and leading complex, strategic transactions is critical.
- J.D. from a nationally recognized law school and admission to at least one U.S. State Bar is required.
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance. For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the EEO is the Law poster.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Apply online today at www.gilead.com/careers
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com for assistance.
Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S. employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. "Full vaccination" is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.​
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.