Research Scientist, Bioinformatics
Clinical Bioinformatics & Exploratory Analytics, as a part of the Gilead Clinical Data Science organization, supports drug development and other business use cases by providing analytical, engineering, and visualization solutions for clinical and multi-omics data. You will collaborate across functions to enable scientific and other business exploration and decision-making, including statistical analysis, genomic data processing and analysis, and machine learning.. You will lead design, development and implementation of statistical, bioinformatics and machine learning methods that integrate large multi-modal datasets to derive quantitative biological insights in support of virology clinical development, translation of clinical findings and other business decision-making. You will also contribute to presentations and publications of clinical genomics and biomarker findings either as conference publications, journal publications or regulatory documents.
- Plays a key role in both internal and external collaborations in the analysis of complex data sets, including but not limited to genomic, protein, and cytokine/chemokine data from patient samples together with clinical outcome data from Gilead's virology development programs.
- Develops predictive models using statistical techniques and machine learning for analysis of large omics and high dimensional data from internal, publicly available, commercial and Real-World datasets to enable target identification / assessment, drug combinations, understanding of MOA, disease mechanisms, etc.
- Designs and executes data analysis plans, communicates findings and recommends follow-up actions in multiple settings, including one-to-ones, seminars, group and project meetings.
- Participates in development of team and department-level standards, tools and templates.
- Develops and implements quality assessments, statistical analysis and data visualization for multi-omics datasets, e.g., RNA-Seq, single cell sequencing, WES, WGS, etc.
- Develops data dashboards, visualizations and analytical tools to improve visualization, integration, and accessibility of complex clinical data and enable data analysis and exploration by the broader Research & Development organization.
- Provides expertise and technical consultation for external collaborations/partnerships in academia and industry.
- Ensures assigned work complies with established practices, policies and processes and any regulatory or other requirements.
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. Please see the following for the qualifications and skills we seek for this role.
Minimum Education & Experience
- PhD in statistics, data science, mathematics, bioinformatics, genomics, computer science or related discipline with some general business knowledge and work experience. PhD with 2+ years' bioinformatics or related experience is preferred.
- MS in statistics, data science, mathematics, bioinformatics, genomics, computer science or related discipline with 6+ years' bioinformatics or related experience.
- BS in statistics, data science, mathematics, bioinformatics, genomics, computer science or related discipline with 8+ years' bioinformatics or related experience.
- Significant experience working with multi-omics and large-scale biological datasets.
- Significant experience working with a broad range of statistical methods, including machine learning methods.
- Strong programming skills in key languages used by Bioinformatics, Data Science and Statistics, e.g., R, Python, etc., with proven capabilities to manipulate large and multi-dimensional datasets.
- Significant experience working with cloud computing systems, advanced statistical software and/or visualization tools.
- Strong proficiencies in problem-solving, bioinformatics or other data analytics algorithm design, genomic and proteomic technologies, and high throughput experimental techniques, e.g., next generation sequencing technologies, single cell technologies, and/or their applications.
- An understanding of infectious disease and/or immune system biology is preferred.
- Hands-on experience working with clinical or other human-derived data sets is preferred.
- A track record in publications within own field is preferred.
Knowledge & Other Requirements
- Demonstrated ability to be a fast learner.
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible and adaptable to change, to move between projects easily and provide support/expertise where needed.
- Proven analytical abilities with high attention-to-detail as demonstrated through past experiences and/or academic achievements, including statistical knowledge, such as probability theory, statistical power, univariate and/or multivariate analysis, unsupervised and supervised analysis, regression analysis, survival analysis, etc.
- Proven ability to conduct effective and efficient exploratory analysis on large volumes of data and identify key descriptive and inferential properties.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to lead and influence programs, projects and / or initiatives.
When needed, ability to travel (~5%).
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S. employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. "Full vaccination" is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.​
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.