Research Scientist, Process Development
Research Scientist, Process Development
Foster City, CA
Gilead Sciences currently has an excellent opportunity for a highly motivated scientist to join our Process Chemistry group in the Pharmaceutical Development & Manufacturing (PDM) organization. With your commitment and drive, you will be part of a cross-functional drug development team whose goal is to develop curative medicines helping millions of people live healthier, more fulfilling lives. With state-of-the-art research facilities and a team of experienced scientists who are passionate about developing drugs, the Process Chemistry group at Gilead empowers every chemist to take part in the act of innovation. You will see the tangible results of your contributions in this dynamic workplace, where every individual matters, and everyone has a chance to enhance their skills through on-going development. Our science-focused pursuit of excellence and teamwork has resulted in break-through development of many life-changing novel marketed products that are benefiting millions of people. With a robust pipeline of drug candidates at every developmental stage at Gilead, you will have ample opportunities to make meaningful contribution to our mission to address unmet medical needs and improve life by advancing the care of patients with life-threatening diseases. Gilead's core values of integrity, inclusion, teamwork, excellence, and accountability shape our culture and are the foundation of our future success. Challenge yourself and make a difference in the world – Make your mark here at Gilead.
Essential Duties and Job Functions:
- Responsible for developing chemical processes for the manufacture of drug substances.
- Demonstrate technical proficiency, scientific creativity, collaboration with others and independent thought in suggesting experimental design and strategy.
- Must think critically and creatively and be able to work independently, determine appropriate resources for resolution of problems and have strong organizational and planning skills.
- Propose alternative chemistry including new route selection and step optimization.
- Works in collaboration with more senior scientists or scientific directors to advance the development of economical, state-of-the-art techniques to isolate, characterize, purify and mass-produce substances.
- Work on complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires evaluation of intangible variables, requiring regular use of ingenuity and creativity.
- Advise members of project teams in the initiation and execution of laboratory experimentation, considering economic, regulatory and safety factors.
- Make contributions to scientific literature and conferences through publication and presentation of research results.
- Maintain full working knowledge of state-of-the art principles and theories, applying such knowledge to the direction that supports Company interests.
- Demonstrate excellent verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrate collaborative communication and problem-solving spirit.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- PhD in Organic Chemistry (or related discipline), or MS degree with 9+ years of relevant experience, or BS degree with 11+ years of experience.
- Experience in planning and executing multi-step synthetic sequences.
- Familiarity with modern purification and analytical techniques, including HPLC, LCMS and NMR.
- Well-versed in scientific literature searching software (SciFinder, Reaxys etc.)
- Strong desire to work in multi-disciplinary teams, learn new skills and proactively solve problems.
Please Provide Research Summary with Application
Gilead is an equal opportunity employer.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com for assistance.
Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S. employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. "Full vaccination" is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.​
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.