Senior Research Scientist I, Analytical Operations
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company founded in 1987. Together we deliver life-saving therapies to patients in need. With the commitment and drive you bring to the workplace every day, you will be part of a team that is changing the world and helping millions of people live healthier, more fulfilling lives. Our worldwide staff is a close community where you can see the tangible results of your contributions, where every individual matters, and everyone has a chance to enhance their skills through ongoing development. Our scientific focus has resulted in marketed products that are benefiting hundreds of thousands of people, a pipeline of late-stage drug candidates, and unmatched patient access programs to ensure medications are available to those who could otherwise not afford them. By joining Gilead, you will further our mission to address unmet medical needs and improve life by advancing the care of patients with life-threatening diseases.
Gilead Sciences is currently seeking a Senior Research Scientist I in our Analytical Operations group at our Oceanside facility in Southern California. This role functions in the Analytical Operations group of Process and Manufacturing Sciences by managing a group of direct reports that support process and product development and characterization.
Senior Research Scientist I, Analytical Operations
Role and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for conducting scientific research for the development of drug candidates or the research support of marketed drugs.
- Applies the principles and techniques of Analytical Chemistry to products and problems.
- Works in collaboration with more senior scientists or scientific directors to advance the development of state-of-the-art techniques to characterize substances, assays and tools.
- Works on moderately complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires evaluation of intangible variables, requiring regular use of ingenuity and creativity.
- Advises Research Associates or members of project teams in the initiation and execution of laboratory experimentation, considering economic, regulatory and safety factors.
- Presents results of work, interprets data, and draws conclusions regarding presented material and nature of work.
- Maintains full working knowledge of state-of-the art principles and theories, applying such knowledge to the direction that supports Company interests.
- Demonstrates technical proficiency, scientific creativity, collaboration with others and independent thought in suggesting experimental design and strategy.
- Must think critically and creatively and be able to work independently, determine appropriate resources for resolution of problems and have strong organizational and planning skills.
- Excellent verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills are required.
Essential Duties and Job Functions:
- Manages a group of scientists that perform protein structure and characterization studies
- Leads analytical method development projects and qualification for protein and structure characterization activities.
- Demonstrates technical proficiency, scientific creativity and independent thought in experimental design and strategy.
- Manage projects in executing project plans and coordinates with team to characterize molecules, degradation pathways, and define critical quality attributes.
- Defines, conducts, and instructs group in comparability studies.
- Advises and manages analysis of in-process samples and product related impurities as needed.
- Works in a matrixed environment and effectively communicate of ideas, results, and problems.
- Conceives and optimizes experiments and proactively troubleshoots problems.
- Identifies areas for improvement and efficiency gains.
- Leads method transfers to QC and external CRO/CMO laboratories.
- Maintains full working knowledge scientific literature for techniques and instruments and applying appropriately to projects.
- Represents the company at national/international conferences.
- Manages multiple projects and ensures analytical deliverables are met within timelines.
- Responsible for conducting scientific research for the development of drug candidates.
- Works on moderately complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires evaluation of intangible variables, requiring regular use of intelligence, logic, ingenuity, and creativity.
- Initiation and execution of laboratory experimentation, considering economic, regulatory and safety factors.
- Presents results of work, interprets data, and draws conclusions within the context of the work.
- Experience with Regulatory Filings and authoring relevant sections is desired.
- Works under supervision of scientific directors to analyze laboratory. experimentation and advance the development of state-of-the-art techniques to characterize drug product formulations and processes.
- The applicant is also expected to exercise considerable latitude thus thinking critically and creatively to determine appropriate resources for resolution of problems. Therefore, the candidate must have strong organizational and planning skills.
- Maintains full working knowledge of principles and theories, applying such knowledge to the direction that supports company interests.
- Demonstrates ability in developing methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results and interpreting experimental outcomes.
- Provides expertise and advises for troubleshooting issues with assays in QC, Technical Services, and manufacturing.
- Draft and revise standard operating procedures for analytical methods.
- Interacts with Process Sciences, Manufacturing Sciences & Technology, Quality Control, Project Management Office.
- Acts a mentor and technical trainer for staff to junior staff.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- 3+ years of experience and PhD in Chemistry.
- BS or MS degree with extensive industry experience.
- Experience in several of the following fields is strongly desired: analytical chemistry, biochemistry, biological mass spectrometry, high performance or ultra-performance liquid chromatography, electrophoretic separations, enzymology, statistics, chemical and biophysical structural elucidation, and bioinformatics
- Good communication skills (both verbal and technical) and interpersonal skills are required. Must be able to work in highly flexible and effective teams.
- Exercises independent judgment in developing methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results. Demonstrates ability to recognize anomalous and inconsistent results and interpret experimental outcomes. Demonstrates technical proficiency, scientific creativity, collaboration with others and independent thought in suggesting experimental design and research strategy.
If this is not the right move for you now but remain interested in a career at Gilead Sciences please connect with us via our talent community: https://gilead.avature.net/Gilead
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead's therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S. employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. "Full vaccination" is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.​
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.