Associate Scientist I/II, Purification Development
PELICAN (a wholly owned subsidiary of Ligand Pharmaceuticals Incorporated) is a full-cycle development and licensing biotechnology company focused on leveraging its Pelican Expression Technology to improve protein therapies for unmet patient needs. Using the patented Pelican Expression Technology platform, the Company has created an advanced pipeline of therapeutic equivalents, vaccines, biologics and biosimilars.
Essentials for Working at Ligand * Ligand is a dynamic, fast-paced organization committed to creating shareholder value and addressing unmet medical needs through developing and acquiring cutting-edge, royalty-bearing technologies and establishing research collaborations that make major life-saving global drugs possible. To be successful at Ligand, employees must be innovative, efficient, versatile, self-starters who take great pride in their work and want to contribute to something significant.
Serve as an individual contributor for the Pelican Research and Development team responsible for primary recovery and purification process development. The position covers clarification techniques for microbial hosts, such as continuous centrifugation, depth/membrane filtration, followed by purification using chromatography. Position scope extends to bench and pilot scale process development activities, DOE execution, data generation/collation, as well as support for technology transfer to CMO facilities. Individual technical issue management and effective communication are key position attributes. The candidate will work in a team environment, collaborating with various colleagues in research and development.
Essential Role Responsibilities
- Familiar with affinity, ion-exchange, hydrophobic interaction, and mixed-mode chromatography techniques
- Familiar with statistical experimental design and analysis (JMP experience preferred)
- Execute experimental protocols and designs with minimal supervision
- Document work and author detailed development reports in accordance with Good Documentation Practice and scientific principles
- Scientifically characterize drug substance and/or drug product manufacturing processes
- Proactively troubleshoot and mitigate technical issues associated with primary recovery, chromatography development, and formulation
- Provide input/data for regulatory submissions as required
- Generate and deliver concise/clear technical presentations to peers and manager
Experience and Skills
- BS in Biology/Microbiology/Biochemistry/Biochemical Engineering or related field with = 2 years of relevant industry experience or MS with = 1 years of relevant industry experience
- Experience in product recovery/clarification, chromatography, filtration, PAT, and high throughput screening (HTS) technologies
- Experience with AKTA chromatography systems and Unicorn software, as well as filtration methods including normal flow and TFF
- Scientific understanding of current purification technologies
- Fluent in practical application of PC's, Microsoft Project, Word, Excel, PowerPoint as well as statistical experimental design/control software (e.g., JMP)
- Ability to travel up to 15% (US and Internationally)
- Ability to work flexible work schedules
- Proven ability to work in a lean organization and creatively tackle problems.
- Work independently in a matrix environment and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
Supplemental Experience (Strong Plus)
- Experience in design and execution of process characterization
- Experience with development of protein refolding steps
- Experience performing pegylation and conjugation of proteins (ADCs)
- Experience with the full lifecycle of a biopharmaceutical product (i.e. Phases 1-4)
- The company offers competitive benefits including medical, dental, vision, Short/Long term disability and life insurance, as well as 401(k) match, Stock Options, Bonus, and paid time leave
- All new hires are required to go through a background and reference check
- Ligand is an EEO/AA/Disability/Vets employer
- Must be legally authorized to work in the US without sponsorship
- Ligand celebrates the diversity of life and welcomes all individuals to apply