Sr Research Associate I Early / Late Stage Upstream Process Development - 8,000 Sign On
Sr Research Associate I – Early / Late Stage Upstream Process Development
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company founded in 1987. Together we deliver life-saving therapies to patients in need. With the commitment and drive you bring to the workplace every day, you will be part of a team that is changing the world and helping millions of people live healthier, more fulfilling lives. Our worldwide staff is a close community where you can see the tangible results of your contributions, where every individual matters, and everyone has a chance to enhance their skills through ongoing development. Our scientific focus has resulted in marketed products that are benefiting hundreds of thousands of people, a pipeline of late-stage drug candidates, and unmatched patient access programs to ensure medications are available to those who could otherwise not afford them. By joining Gilead, you will further our mission to address unmet medical needs and improve life by advancing the care of patients with life-threatening diseases.
Gilead Sciences is currently seeking a Sr. Research Associate I in our Upstream Process Development group at our Oceanside facility in Southern California. We are seeking a highly motivated, team-oriented individual to execute experiments to support cell culture process development at both early and late stages for recombinant protein and novel platform programs. General activities will include shake flask and bioreactor experiments, process development and automation, and manufacturing and technology transfer support.
Specific Skills and Responsibilities for Position:
- Previous hands-on experience with mammalian or microbial cell culture
- Conduct hands-on laboratory cell culture operations at shake flask, microscale, and bench-top scales
- Support upstream bioprocess development activities including clone selection, technology development, media development, process optimization, and process characterization studies
- Collaborate with technical operations and biologics production teams to transfer process to and support pilot scale and clinical manufacturing upstream operations
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Excellent communication skills as well as an aptitude for creative problem solving
- Experience in data visualization
Essential Duties and Job Functions:
- Plans and executes assigned experiments that support process development activities and project goals
- Recommends alternatives, researches new methods and techniques and proactively seeks out senior personnel to discuss potential solutions to problems
- Contributes to early and late stage upstream process development experimental efforts as required
- Contributes to research programs and platform improvement utilizing statistical Design of Experiments
- Participates in group meetings. Presents results of work, interprets data, and draws conclusions regarding presented material and nature of work
- Demonstrates good verbal communication and interpersonal skills to provide insight into the processes used to achieve results of assigned tasks
- Contributes to team's effort to improve data collection, management, and visualization standards using basic computer programming techniques and modern visualization software
- Participates in improvement of upstream process control systems, including automation efforts
- Demonstrates ability to recognize anomalous and inconsistent results and interpret experimental outcomes
- Always works with safety in mind
Required Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- 0+ years of experience with MS degree in a relevant scientific discipline
- 2+ years of experience with BS degree in a relevant scientific discipline
Preferred Training and Experience:
- Chemical/Biochemical Engineering, Biochemistry, Biology, Bioengineering, or a related discipline of study
- Must be able to work effectively in cross-functional teams
- Previous work experience in a GMP-facility a plus
* This Position qualifies for a $8,000 Sign-on Bonus, $4,000 payable within 30 days of start date and $4,000 payable following 6 months of continuous employment. Payments are subject to a 1-year repayment agreement from date of payment issue.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com for assistance.
Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S. employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. "Full vaccination" is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.​
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.