Senior Scientist, Polymer Synthesis
About the Role:
The Senior Scientist, Polymer Synthesis is a hands-on role supporting our chemistry team in polymer synthesis and characterization for the genomic sequencing chemistry platform. In this role, hands-on experience in surface and polymer chemistry is highly desirable as you’ll be working in small molecules, polymer conjugation to different functional moieties, and nucleotide synthesis. This position will be working in a highly interdisciplinary team of scientists and engineers in a growing, vibrant environment. The position reports to the Senior Director of Chemistry in our Redwood City, CA office. This is a very exciting time to join our growing Genapsys team as the technology is rapidly scaling and approaching market adaptation.
Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
- Lead the design and synthesis, purification, and characterization of monomers and polymers systems.
- Perform bench-top polymer synthesis (solution, bulk, controlled polymerizations)
- Perform polymer conjugation to various small and oligonucleotide functional moieties.
- Synthesize and characterize novel reagents for surface functionalization.
- Perform testing using a multitude of polymer material characterization test methods, including Structural characterization, thermogravimetric analysis, rheological testing, mechanical testing, and dynamic scanning calorimetry, among others, on different polymer systems.
- Provide chemistry support to projects in other groups.
- Apply synthetic chemistry techniques and safe laboratory practice.
- Record, analyze, and interpret experimental results.
- Document results in technical reports and present data at team meetings.
- PhD in polymer science, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or Material Science is required.
- 4 or more years’ industry experience
- Direct, hands-on experimental experience in synthesis, and characterization of polymers.
- Fundamental understanding of analytical methods used for polymer characterization.
- Prioritize and meet deadlines and construct project timetables.
- Ability to work independently and communicate the findings effectively.
- Ability to work on multiple projects concurrently as well as participate in cross-functional teams.
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Self-motivated and well-organized.
- Adaptable to fast-paced, dynamic work environments and shifting demands
- Highly collaborative, team-oriented, and an effective communicator
- Passion for making a difference in the world
- Able to work effectively in a matrix organization