Sr. Patent Counsel
Those who join Emergent BioSolutions feel a sense of ownership about their future. You will excel in an environment characterized by respect, innovation and growth opportunities. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect life.
I: Job Summary
This position reports to the VP, IP and is responsible for strategic patent portfolio procurement and management, directly or through management of outside counsel and IP support for R&D projects, marketed products, and M&A and licensing, and performance of other IP-related in-house responsibilities.
II: Responsibilities (Include key responsibilities only. This should not be an all-encompassing list)
• Independently manage strategic build of patent portfolios for business lines, including management of license collaborations, and prosecution, maintenance and defense of patents
• Effectively communicate complex legal issues to project teams and management
• Proactively counsel, educate and partner with business lines to identify and capture company innovations
• Review, analyze and support drafting of license agreements and other contracts, including collaboration agreements, clinical agreements, and MTAs
• Effectively manage outside counsel
• Provide support for and/or manage patent litigations
• Perform IP due diligence analyses in support of business development activities
• Perform validity and freedom to operate reviews; monitor and advise stakeholders on third party risks
• Collaborate with general legal, R&D, commercial, regulatory, and business development colleagues to achieve company goals
• Actively participate in department initiatives, identifying opportunities to enhance effectiveness of IP department operations
• Education and training of business and stakeholders on IP practices and policies
• Drive performance of business objectives by identifying possible solutions for identified legal issues
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work performed by those in this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties, and other duties may be assigned.
III: Education, Experience & Skills
• BS degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Pharmacy, Virology, Immunology or a related discipline; Advanced degree or equivalent experience preferred.
• JD degree from an accredited US law school
• Admitted as an attorney to practice before the USPTO
• A minimum of seven years intellectual property experience managing global patent portfolios
• Combined in-house and law firm experience in the biotech and/or pharmaceutical industry preferred.
• Strong core patent prosecution skills with ability to effectively manage dockets and portfolios.
• Experience with managing IP issues related to government contracts advantageous.
• Ability to work independently and take initiative to drive forward priorities, complete tasks and appropriately manage risks.
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively work in a team environment and across different functions to resolve complex IP matters
• Strong prioritization skills and ability to effectively manage diverse workload
• Excellent judgment, analytical and strategic thinking skills
• Ability to work well, adapt and learn in a fast-paced, changing environment with confidence, focus, efficiency, and accountability
• Effective oral and written communication skills
Successful applicants for this position must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Individuals with qualifying medical issues or sincerely held religious beliefs or practices that may prevent them from getting the vaccine may request an exemption from the vaccine requirement.
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.