Research Associate 2, Analytical Sciences
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. The Analytical Chemistry department, a part of Process Sciences within Tech Ops, supports all assay needs in Tech Ops. Our scientists and associates are experts in analytics of small molecules, peptides, proteins/enzymes, and gene therapy agents. We develop assays to follow the quality attributes of our products, support IND and BLA applications, we assess the capability of our processes by analyzing in-process samples all the way from bioreactors through purification steps to the drug substance and develop release assays for transfer to Quality. We are also instrumental in time-critical analysis support to Manufacturing as needed. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
Analytical Sciences at BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc. is seeking a Research Associate to join an Analytical Development team focused on Molecular, Cellular, and Immunology based assays and supporting early stage, clinical, and commercial programs. The successful candidate will be a self-motivated and critical thinker who has a proven ability to complete research projects in a multi-disciplinary and fast-paced environment with solid communication and record-keeping skills.
The candidate will be responsible for developing and characterizing new analytical methods as well as comparing new analytical methods with existing or alternative methods. In addition, the candidate will be expected to contribute to sample testing, sample testing records, assay performance trending, critical reagent testing, and to development of qualification documents for assay transfers as well as other duties as assigned. The selected candidate should possess excellent organizational, analytical and communication skills and be a self-starter willing to work efficiently and collaboratively in a dynamic environment.
An ideal candidate will have experience in molecular, cellular, and immunology-based assays as well as an interest or experience in learning flow cytometry, high throughput imaging, and automation. A good scientific understanding of molecular and cellular biology is essential. Hands-on experience in data handling in LIMS or similar is desired.
- Development of eukaryotic cell bioassays including viral vector, live virus, and transfection
- Development of molecular biology-based assays including nucleic acid isolation and quantitation
- Development of protein quantitation and activity assays by biochemical methods
- Development of immunoassays including ELISA
- Development of imaging-based assays and flow cytometry-based assays
- Provide quantitative analysis of data and interpretation of results.
- Report progress directly to manager on a regular basis.
- Compose methods, qualification reports, and data reports as requested by supervisor.
- Present data regularly in group meetings; communicate plans and results to supervisor.
- Catalogue data/reports electronically
- Nucleic acid extractions, PCR, and eukaryotic cell culture
- Excellent skills with detailed lab records
- Effective collaboration on teams
- Excellent verbal communication, collaboration and writing skills
- Proven data analysis, interpretation, and scientific communication skills
- Proven flexibility and execution skills to deliver in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment
- Viral vector transduction, immunoassay, and biochemical assay experience
- Experienced in the molecular, cellular, and biochemical biology research
- Established skills from a cross-functional environment
- Knowledge of biopharmaceutical development
Bachelor’s degree in molecular and cellular biology, biology, or biochemistry and at least 2 years of relevant experience, or minimal experience with Masters.
ddPCR, qPCR, liquid handling systems and other automated systems, plate readers, multiple imaging systems including confocal and automated imaging, BSC, incubators, nanodrop, centrifuges, flow cytometer, and others as needed
Will report to a PhD Scientist in Analytical Sciences.
No immediate supervisory role.