Summer 2022 – Process Development Cell Culture Intern
Intern Supervisor: Scientist III
Department: Cell Culture Process Development
Sangamo Therapeutics is a genomic medicine company building value with cutting-edge work across four distinct but complementary technology platforms – gene therapy, cell therapy, in vivo genome editing, and in vivo genome regulation. Using its deep scientific expertise and proprietary zinc finger genome engineering technology, Sangamo is working to create genomic cures for patients suffering from severe genetic diseases for which today’s medicines can only treat symptoms. At Sangamo, we are committed to creating an inclusive environment that promotes and values diversity. We are dedicated to providing an innovative space where students can engage in meaningful work and collaborate with professionals in the biotech industry through our internship program. Sangamo’s internship program gives students the opportunity to flourish, grow and develop their expertise. We are a company that inspires and empowers everyone who works here to grow and be better than they believe they can be in our mission to collectively transform patients’ lives.
We are seeking passionate, curious, and innovative interns to contribute to our mission. Let’s build a better future together.
What Will You Get Out of This Summer Internship?
- Opportunity to obtain valuable real-world experience in a biotech setting, while gaining specific field-related exposure, and making important professional connections.
- Discover if a particular career path or field of study in the biotech industry is right for you.
- Engage in our fun and collaborative company culture while participating in team wide social events.
- Receive compensation through this paid internship.
- Consideration for future full-time positions or contract roles.
Scope of Timeline
- December: Applications open
- Mid- February: Application close (may still consider application if we have openings left)
- February through March: Offers made
- June through August: Internship period
- Must be 18 years of age prior to scheduled start date
- Must be legally authorized to work in the U.S.
- Must be able to commit to the full 10-12 weeks’ time frame between June and August.
- Interns will be expected to work 40 hours a week.
- Candidates are eligible to apply to the internship within one year of their last degree attained.
- We do not have a GPA requirement.
- Applicants must have completed at least one year of accredited university or community college course work to be considered for an internship.
- We currently do not offer visa sponsorship to interns.
INTERNSHIP PROJECT SUMMARY:
Sangamo Therapeutics is seeking an intern to be a part of our Process Development Cell Culture team, helping to develop methods to improve production of Adeno-associated viruses (AAV) for cell and gene therapy applications. Process Development serves to take a therapeutic candidate from bench-top research scale to a feasible product that will work in a manufacturing setting for clinical or commercial use. The intern will work under the guidance of a supervisor to run experiments related to AAV production using eukaryotic cell platforms from shake flasks to bioreactors. If you are interested in a career within the biotechnology field, process development will you an opportunity to interact with a wide range of groups within the company and gain a better understanding of how each plays a role to bring a life changing treatment from an idea to an approved product. You will gain the hard skills of cell culture and bioreactor experience as well as the soft skills of data presentation and intergroup coordination, while gaining valuable AAV experience.
- Bioreactor operations; including set-up, daily sampling, and harvest
- Maintenance and passage of suspension cells
- Detailed record keeping and report compilation
- Attend regular meetings, present findings
- Assist in laboratory operations
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- Going into fourth or fifth year of university studies or recent graduate
- Completed undergraduate coursework within the biomedical field, such as: Chemistry, Molecular and Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Biomedical Engineering
- Basic biology lab skill set, including: Lab safety, dilutions, buffer prep, micro pipetting, aseptic technique
- Microsoft Office
Any questions, please feel free to contact us here.
Sangamo is an equal opportunity employer
The above reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this position but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. The above duties are representative only; management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.
Sangamo requires all U.S. workers to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of their start date. This requirement is a condition of employment at Sangamo, and it applies regardless of location or classification of role. If you are unable to receive the vaccine, you will have an opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable laws.
Note to External Recruiters: Please understand that we do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than from the candidates themselves. Any agency or independent recruiter must have a signed copy of our agency agreement before presenting candidates. Submission of unsolicited resumes without our signed agreement will not create any implied obligation on our part.