Research Associate - Genomic Immunology Institute
Lab/Area:GIGI Central ScienceDescription:
Gladstone-UCSF Institute of Genomic Immunology
The Gladstone-UCSF Institute of Genomic Immunology, directed by Alex Marson, is recruiting a Research Associate (RA) to help perform in vivo experiments in mouse models of immunotherapies and assist with the mouse colony management for ongoing multidisciplinary cellular engineering projects. Institute labs have pioneered the application of novel genetic engineering technologies such as CRISPR and synthetic biology techniques to primary human immune cells, contributing to research into the genetic underpinnings of autoimmune disease and T cell biology, as well as opening the door to novel cancer and autoimmunity immunotherapies based on engineered human immune cells. In addition to cell editing, our labs integrate genomic analysis (e.g. ChIP-seq, ATAC-seq, RNA-seq, single cell sequencing), human disease genetics, and high dimensional screening approaches for in vitro and in vivo studies of immune cell function.
The RA will assist with the management and maintenance of institute mouse colonies located at Gladstone and UCSF. Tasks require routine handling of mice.
- Perform intravenous injections of cancer cell lines and/or immune cells.
- Help perform experiments in murine models of cancer, autoimmunity and infections.
- Perform in vivo imaging in cancer models (bioluminescence).
- Perform all colony management duties, including but not limited to injections, plug checks, post-operative care, and identification and aging of new litters.
- Manage breeding, timed breeding, ear punching/ear tagging/tailing for genotyping, weaning, aging and sexing of pups, and euthanasia.
- Identify and implement required care for mice with health issues and mice on special treatment (special diet, fasting, treated water).
- Maintain a detailed mouse database, and update the mouse lines listed in the UCSF inventory database with high accuracy.
- Administer medication/reagents orally and via subQ, IP, or IV.
- Collect blood samples or dissect other tissues/organs for analysis.
- Design PCR primers and perform PCR for genotyping.
- Send out and track tail and sequencing samples for genotyping.
- Request sperm cryopreservation.
- Manage mouse lines with the Cre/loxP system.
- Monitor, order, and restock consumables in the mouse room as necessary.
- Communicate effectively with LARC personnel (animal technician, floor leader, facility supervisor, vet nurse), and with lab mouse users. Assist with any experiments using mouse models.
- Order, transfer, and import/export mice.
- Write and update Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and protocols.
- Other duties as assigned.
• BA/BS degree and one or more years of laboratory experience utilizing techniques or methods required by the position; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
• Must be able to work with mouse colonies
• Experience with general laboratory techniques, especially basic molecular and cellular biology techniques (including but not limited to DNA and RNA isolation, PCR, gel electrophoresis, DNA assembly, bacterial transformation, mammalian cell culture, etc.)
• Excellent attention to detail, organizational and interpersonal communication skills (verbal and written)
• Willingness and ability to learn new methods and skills for changing research priorities
• Ability to work independently and as a member of a research team
• Ability to prioritize tasks, coordinate work tasks with others, and meet multiple deadlines
• Ability to comply with policies and procedures
• Some evening and weekend hours are required
• Prior experience with mammalian cell culture, especially T cell culture
• Prior experience with DNA sequencing technologies, including Sanger and NGS
• Prior experience with next-generation sequencing library preparations and quality control
The Gladstone-UCSF Institute of Genomic Immunology is committed to improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the genomic immunology field, from trainees to faculty, and is an equal opportunity employer.
- Title and salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
- Be a part of big ideas and consider Gladstone. Your difference will make a difference in human health.
- Gladstone is an equal opportunity employer.