Scientist I/II, Molecular Screening and Characterization
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Drug Discovery addresses key unmet medical needs through the identification and validation of therapeutic targets, generation of leads, and optimization of those leads into drug candidates for clinical evaluation. We are seeking a highly talented and motivated Scientist to join our molecular screening and characterization group in the Target Enabling Technology area. This group focuses on assay development, optimization, and execution of in vitro biochemical and cell based high throughput screens and providing assay support for SAR and mechanistic studies for multiple therapeutic areas.
The Scientist I/II should have strong molecular biology/cell biology across various target classes and will work with multiple disease biology groups to develop, optimize, and execute novel assays in various disease models that can be utilized in a high-throughput screening format. In this role, he/she will work closely with project team members to implement in vitro screening strategies as part of the overall project plan. The candidate should play an active role in communicating and collaborating with scientists across Abbvie to advance projects through day-to-day interactions, presentation of data, and interpretation of results. The Scientist must be capable of working independently while contributing and participating in a team environment and must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Develop in vitro assays, screening strategies, and mechanistic studies and deliver high quality data from validated screens to drive lead series identification and lead optimization. The successful candidate will develop disease-relevant phenotypic assays using complex cellular models such as primary and stem cells and elucidate mechanism of action of molecules.
- Maintain expertise in high content imaging and proficiency with multiple additional assay formats.
- Engage and collaborate with multiple disease area teams and make substantial contributions to the conception and execution of screens including mechanism of action studies within strict time and quality tolerances.
- Collaborate actively within the group and cross functional team to execute projects and coordinate discovery efforts.
- Maintain cutting-edge awareness of technical developments and scientific knowledge and proactively applying these when appropriate
- Effectively communicate results in presentations and written reports and actively participate in cross-functional teams
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in biology, biochemistry, microbiology, or related field and prior expeirence in a drug discovery laboratory setting working as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Scientist I requires Bachelors with typically 5 + or Masters with typically 2+ years of related experience
- Scientist II requires Bachelors with typically 7 + or Masters with typically 5+ years of related experience
- Demonstrated experience in biochemical, cellular assays.
- Expertise in High Content Imaging for developing assays, proven ability to use high content imaging software to analyze data and interpret results.
- Able to think critically and creatively across multiple disciplines. Demonstrated ability to solve research problems with experience in standard in vitro assays including assay development, optimization, and troubleshooting
- Able to analyze and critically interpret and report data and research conclusions
- Ability to multi-task and successfully interact with a diverse team of scientists to deliver results meeting the needs of various stakeholder groups
- Prior experience within pharmaceutical industry.
- Familiarity with assay technologies, automation, and high throughput screening approaches.
- Experience in CRISPR technology, for target identification, validation, pathway analysis, target engagement.
- Computational skills enabling automated data acquisition and analysis, and familiarity with related software applications, example Spotfire
- Familiarity with imaging software, particularly Thermo (Cellomics) HCS Studio.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.