Scientist, Gene Regulation
The mission of Earli is large and ambitious: make cancer a benign experience.
Earli is developing a new orthogonal approach for early cancer detection and localization, making the disease actionable a stage when the chances of survival are significantly higher. Rather than rely on naturally shed biomarkers that cancer may or may not provide, Earli's platform technology usurps the dysregulated pathways that cause malignancy and *forces* cancer cells to make a synthetic, non-human biomarker using gene therapy approaches. It's called a Synthetic Biopsy. It can then localize the cancer in a PET scanner, and even be extended to therapeutics. Developed initially by the late Sam Gambhir, former head of Stanford’s Canary Center for Early Cancer Detection, and co-founded by serial entrepreneur Cyriac Roeding and gene therapy veteran David Suhy, Earli is funded by Andreessen Horowitz's Bio Fund, Khosla Ventures, Perceptive Advisors, Casdin Capital, Sands Capital, Marc Benioff, Menlo Ventures and ZhenFund. Earli is based in the West Coast’s prime biotech hub in South San Francisco. Earli’s scientific advisors include Jim Allison (MD Anderson, Nobel Laureate), Pam Sharma (MD Anderson), Bob Langer (MIT, Moderna), Phil Greenberg (Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center), Lee Hartwell (formerly Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Nobel Laureate), Alan Ashworth (UCSF) and Judy Garber (Dana-Farber).
Who You Are
- You share our same sense of dedication, scientific passion and entrepreneurial spirit
- You work well in a fast-paced and extremely focused startup environment
- You are not only smart, but clever and constantly think outside the box
- You are able to make logical decisions in an instant when there is little time to evaluate
- You are a natural communicator and relationship builder
- You stay calm under high pressure and stress
- You have the ability to multi-task in a serious way, with an extreme attention to detail
- You become a representative of the core DNA of the company through who you are
Earli, Inc. is currently seeking a high-caliber Scientist to contribute to join our Synthetic Gene Regulation team.
Your Primary Responsibilities
- Design, develop and test novel promoters, enhancers and other regulatory elements for expression in the company’s novel synthetic biomarker constructs
- Analyze key oncogenic signaling pathways and develop strategies to exploit them for specificity and sensitivity.
- Analyze transcriptomic and epigenomic data at a high-level to develop hypotheses about endogenous regulatory sequences
- Conceive of and put into practice inventive and creative strategies to improve specificity and sensitivity of a synthetic regulatory program
- Support high-throughput engineering and screening approaches to develop and qualify novel synthetic regulatory sequences
- Collaborate across the company to validate and support new models (in vitro and in vivo) for testing of specificity and sensitivity of a diagnostic product.
- Document results and communicate findings internally and externally
Your Required Experience, Knowledge and Skills
- PhD degree or equivalent industry experience within a relevant field
- Minimum of 4-6 years of relevant experience in developing tightly regulated expression systems
- High degree of creativity and independence in the field of genetic regulation
- Experience with different synthetic biology modalities including logic gates, novel promoter/enhancer combinations, complex regulatory cascades, etc.
- Exceptional molecular biology skills in design & construction of modified regulatory sequences
- Experience in regulated experession from multiple types of nucleic acids (DNA, RNA) is beneficial
- Ability to design and execute experiments in vitro, using a variety of standard biology techniques, including transductions and transfections, FACS, bioluminescence assays, RT-qPCR etc.
- Working knowledge and experience with NGS and/or single-cell sequencing technologies is highly desirable
- Previous experience in designing, driving and analyzing in vivo experiments desirable.
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills are required
- Able to multi-task, manage multiple projects simultaneously and work effectively within a team
- Ability to think independently and fully integrate into a high achieving team environment
If interested in applying, please attach a CV or have a well-developed LinkedIn profile for us to be able to assess your background.
We look forward to hearing from you!